Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, November 27, 2019

Old bookshelves / Betty Boop Care Package

Wednesdays are trash day and yesterday I noticed I only had one small trash bag and as much as we pay for this service forced myself to rake leaves until I filled it up.  Yesterday was a hot day we had a high of 88 degrees.

The other day I almost bought a shoe rack when I remembered that we have three bookshelves from our Austin, Texas days.  I may be dating myself but back in the '60s HEB would issue double gold stamps on Wednesday that you posted to a small booklet and then saved enough to buy stuff at their specialty store that sold a variety of household articles. Anyone remember that?


I took it outside and cleaned it up saving myself a couple of dollars and in the process located three of my high school yearbooks.  Not particular pretty but will work for my intended purpose and will save my back and knees from having to dig under the bed for my shoes.

Here is a picture of the shoe rack I was going to buy when recalled that I had a similar one in the form of a bookshelf at home.


On a prior post, I mentioned that Ms. D (my best friend) eldest daughter Amanda had sent me a Betty Boop care package.  At the time of this picture, I was wearing one of the t-shirts she gifted me so it does not appear here.


Though the AARP bag I think came from Ms. D.  In my youth I would have killed for a BB Diary!
I started writing a diary when I was nine years old

The cold front arrived this morning but it hasn't been that bad. We had a low of 50 with a high of 65 degrees.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

9 comments:

  1. Enjoy the lower temps MsBelinda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure will Rob as next week they will be back in the 70's and 80's which in reality is not so bad.

      Delete
  2. 88 dang and today the cold front. We have been back and forth between 56 -61 I'm in heaven.

    What a thoughtful package from your friends. I had that same book case, wonder if I got it with the green stamps maybe. Nice that it held up so well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really enjoying the cold front though it is not really that cold but it beats the high 80's.

      I was surprised and grateful to receive the Betty Boop care package. I consider Ms.D's two daughters my nieces.

      It all depended on which grocery store one shopped at. HEB gave gold stamps and Piggly Wiggly gave green stamps. Gasoline stations also gave out stamps and dad could only fill-up on Thursdays when they doubled the stamps or my mother would have a cow! :D

      Delete
  3. I remember the stamps for merchandise. It was so fun to get the catalogue and plan what to get. Much more fun than the point systems in use today.
    What a great Betty Boop gift. That was very thoughtful.
    We are all but snowed in here, although I managed to burn Thanksgiving calories by digging out my truck and porch today so I could make a run for the store. It has been 7* on average, so plenty cold. My little cabin is well insulated and I have a wonderful stove, so all is good. I do dislike driving in these conditions, even with my big truck. It pays to stay well stocked here to be prepared for poor weather.
    I hope you had as much good food on Thanksgiving as I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw the Montana weather report and immediately thought of you. Seven degrees is pretty darn chilly and only heaven knows how many inches of snow fell in your area.

      Having lived there so many years you must be used to it but there is NOTHING in the world that would make me leave the warmth of my cabin and force me to shovel snow...not even to go pick-up my prescription medications.

      I have always made it a point to have plenty of supplies...by that, I mean canned goods...always stocked in case of an emergency. A couple of winters back I had a terrible cold but when I went to the doctor I was diagnosed with Fibromyositis and could barely get around. Too bad they did not have grocery delivery or curve side pick-up as they do now.

      As you know I do not cook so I did not have turkey or for that matter go anywhere on Thanksgiving. Glad you did.

      Delete
  4. MY wonderful SPURS beat those Clippers last nite! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not too long ago you were disavowing them and referring them to them as MY Spurs.

      Now that they finally win a game against none other than "the traitor" you claim them as YOURS?

      You fair weather fans make me laugh :D

      Delete
    2. I'll let that one insult pass but you only get one.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.