Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, April 13, 2013

Good-bye Pesky Mesquites :-)

Remember I mentioned back in March that I had met Cliff a blog reader and  fellow Del Rioan?  Here it is if you missed it http://terlinguadreams.blogspot.com/2013/03/met-blog-reader.html  If you have been reading me for a while you know how much I have whined and carried on about having to rake those pesky mesquite pods.  Not to mention having to chop and dig up the multiple baby mesquite that invade the yard year after year!

Cliff loves to cook-out and incorporates mesquite wood in his bar-b-q's.  We happen to have a lot of mesquite trees that we would like to see disappear.  Talk about a great bartering opportunity!

Lucky for me Cliff was agreeable and he has a lot of friends willing to help him chop down those pesky trees  in exchange for some wood.  Today was the first of what I hope are more visits.

Cliff and Carl

He brought his friend Carl who today is celebrating a birthday day.  Happy birthday Carl!

Have a great day...I know I am :-)


10 comments:

  1. Is it cold in Del Rio? I see that guy has gloves on. Heeheehee....
    I also see a "glimer" in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was rather chilly and windy this morning around 63 degrees to be exact.

    I guess you have never picked up mesquite branches Billy Bob? It does not matter what time of the year it happens to be...you either wear gloves or you get stabbed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took a hunk of mesquite with me in my luggage one time when I flew to North Carolina and gave it to friend of mine who was buying small pellets of it for large amounts of money. Other than the airport security wondering why I had a log in my carry on, all went well and he was really happy. I told him it was a trash tree over here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was nice of you Dizzy but I bet it was before 9/11...do not know if they would let you now.

      Delete
  4. One woman's trash is another man's treasure. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. MsB,you can cut them down, but in my experience, you can never get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is true Suerte but just getting rid of the big ones that shed tons of pods is a victory in and of itself.

      I can deal with the little ones.

      Delete
  6. Besides the pods the thorns can puncture a tire in a hot second. I guess I don't mind the mesquite since it is the only thing down here besides a Cottonwood that resembles anything close to a tree and provides shade...somewhat. Oh wait, there's also the Palo Verde. When the Hwy Dept mows the side of the road, you'll often find a few people down here mumbling under their breath since, while driving on the road you have to wonder how many mesquite thorns you're driving over. But what would we do if we didn't have at least one little thing to grumble about?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky for me the mesquite trees are contained to certain parts of the property where we do not drive our vehicles over.

      However when walking the property I have gotten a few thorns that have gone through my tennis shoes and boots.

      While in Terlingua my tire mated with another thorny bush but luckily it did not get a flat. However I had a slow leak for months...being on the tire wall, insurance did not cover it.

      Good to read you Charlton.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.