Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, November 14, 2014

A unique set of circumstances

Post for Friday - October 24, 2014

This year a unique set of circumstances presented themselves.  I could either spend three days in the desert or six days.  The only catch was that it would involve two trips.  What do you think I went with?

Last year we had a rain event on Sunday that pretty much almost ruined the trip. Packing and then having to clean wet gear is not my idea of fun.  While I cleaned it, I never set up the tent and shower again to make sure it was mud and dirt free.


Yes, I know I am a procrastinator...waited till the last minute to do it and then I had help from Ralph who decided to show up on this particular day after being missing in action for days.


If your cat can get under your tent shower....you probably did not set it up very well :D
 

If you have a favorite campsite you tend to get pretty attached to it even though other people may not see the beauty of your prime piece of real estate at the cook-off.

I wanted to avoid having them beat me to my favorite spot so I left late on Friday October 24th and barely made it before it got dark.  Fifteen miles out of Del Rio the low tire indicator light came on.  I was not a happy camper as I SHOULD of remembered to have them inflate my tires while the car was at the dealership as I knew I was going to be fully loaded down.  This my friends is why I go into so much detail, so next year I will remember things when I go back and read this cyber journal :(

It was Friday late in the afternoon...neither Comstock or Langtry have much to offer in the way of gas stations. Turning back to Del Rio was not an option. Against all odds I made it to Sanderson where at the local Stripes I asked a very nice (and cute) Sheriff's Deputy where I could have my tires checked.


He sent me to Slim's.  The gentlemen was nice enough to check the pressure on all my tires and inflate them to accommodate the ungodly weight I was hauling. When I asked him how much it was, he told me nothing and for me to have a great time at the Chili Cook-off.


If you are ever in Sanderson, Texas and need a mechanic, tire service, or a tow please consider giving Slims Auto Sales and Wrecker Service your business. After thanking him I asked his permission to take a picture of his business and to mention them on my blog.

Did I mention I got a late start?  Did not stop to eat in Alpine as I usually do. Pressed on to beat the setting sun.  As I drove by the American Legion Post, I honked my horn...being Friday they had a good crowd.

As I arrived at the cook-off there were quite a few people there considering the event did not start for six days. You can not see the cooks section which is located to the left of the picture but each year people get there earlier.


This year the official festivities began on Wednesday October 29, 2014 versus the usual Thursday of years past.


This folks is my little piece of Chili Cook-off real estate, I came to claim.


This year they decided to drape off a big junk of land to keep people from driving down the ravine?


It cut off a good piece of my campground.  Especially the part that has taken me years of rock raking to clear...but it did not matter, I was finally here in the desert that I so love.

My bare bones camp

Stay tuned for more adventures from the desert and the pictures to back it up.  I am still without Internet service but will try to make more trips to the library now that the weather has improved and that our out-of-town doctor's appointments have concluded.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

7 comments:

  1. Have fun, but not too much fun. Keep us posted.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy, I already went and came back.

      Delete
    2. Sorry, I am an old man and my memory isn't as good as it used to be. . . to think about it, it never was very good. . .

      Delete
  2. I am so anxious to hear about the events. It's been a while since you posted, and I miss your blog, girl! Glad you got "your" campsite anyway.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Last year I hurt my back and did not get there until Thursday and by that time someone else had claimed "my" campground and I really missed it. This year I was determined to get there before anyone else laid claimed to my spot and fortunately was successful.

      Delete
  3. Being there is my idea of HELL,,, lololol, good thing it takes all kinds. I would never go camping, wanted comfort.
    So glad to hear from you, just had said how much i missed you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother and my uncle share your feelings about camping, especially about camping in Terlingua.

      You can have comfort if you own a motorhome like Dizzy's but being that I will never be able to afford one of those I will have to keep roughing it. It is all part of the experience.

      I have missed all the bloggers and readers. Hopefully with the coming holidays they will have some offers for Internet service.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.