Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

Bid good-bye to my favorite desert

Post for Monday - October 27, 2014

Last night I turned in early as I had a long drive ahead of me today.  This morning I was able to sleep in until 6:00 a.m. too dark to start the trip back to Del Rio.  If I had better night vision I might have attempted it, as it was a waste of time to sit around waiting for sunrise.

Drive back to Alpine, Texas 
As I had mentioned on a prior post, this year a unique set of circumstances presented themselves. I could either spend 3 days or 6 days in the desert if everything else fell in place. That "everything else" involved another trip to the doctor for my mother.


While I told my friends that I would be back Thursday or Friday...in all honesty I did not know if that would be the case.  The main purpose for arriving early was to reserve a camping spot for myself and my Houston friends. With that accomplished and the guys camp guarding the prime real estate, I left happy knowing that at least I was able to make my 19th trip to the Chili Cook-off. Anything after that, would be icing on the cake.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. MsB, many many years ago, I come up with a say'n...."to let a dream die is to die inside". Don't ever let go of your dream.

    I git all excitis every time you write bout Terlingua 'cause I had them same feel'ns bout the place first time I see it (2002). But now, I'm too freak'n old for that kind of life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I remember you mentioning that saying many times over the years on your blog and I am in complete agreement with it. I do not intend to let go of my Terlingua dream even though my family and friends think I am crazy.

      Billy Bob you are not too old! Over the years I have met several people in their late 70's and 80's who make Terlingua home. By comparison you are a spring chicken.

      Delete
  2. I'm glad it all worked out for you. When I used to criss cross the country from NC to CA and back, I stopped before dark but left before daylight. There isn't much on the road early in the morning except a few trucks, and I was alert once I got started. My eyes were also a lot better back then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem if you can even call it that, is that it gets really dark at night. There are a lot people that have ran into burros, deer and other wildlife. I also feel better driving after sun up as my eyesight is not, nor has it ever been good at night.

      Delete
  3. I read the title & thought "What? No more coconut cream pie?"

    Then I realized the coconut cream pie (or apple pie a la mode!) dessert had the letter 's' twice.

    My mistake ... but I sure do feel better! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.