Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, April 14, 2013

A/C came back on

After what had been wonderful mild days...the heat has once again made its presence felt.  It got to 95 degrees and the following days promise to be just as hot.  So the A/C came back on.

Decided I needed a treat for all the work I have done lately but did not want to drive into town (we live in the county).  Went to an old favorite down the road...El Taco Riendo for some menudo.


Don't judge a book by its cover or its old sign...they have very good food here.


Since it is not very far from the house and I had not driven dad's old car in a couple of days went for a ride around the neighborhood.  There is a house that is being built that intrigued me because it has no foundation and is being built on a platform.




Wonder if something like this would work in Terlingua, but in a much smaller scale for myself?  Guess I have a couple more years to consider all the options.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. That style of construction is one of the very good ones used all over the world. My sons house in Alabama is essentially built with that style of foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am used to the foundation slab type of home building so this is new to me.

      Not commonly seen in the Del Rio area except for homes built on stilts primarily along the Vega Verde area along the banks of the Rio Grande.

      Delete
  2. We will be in Terlingua in a couple of days. Just wandering if you will also be in that area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, Dizzy I wont.

      You and Mrs. Dizzy have a great time and say Hi for me to all the local bloggers ;)

      Delete
  3. That is the most popular style of foundation. Prior to moving to Terlingua I lived in California for twenty years and the building codes there are very strict. I helped a friend with his house and this is the foundation that was used. It's not bad since it is easy access to plumbing and wiring. If you have a solid foundation pad it can be difficult if there is a plumbing problem as well as encountering uplift of the clay soil that is here in Terlingua if it gets moisture under the foundation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not taken into consideration the easy access to plumbing and wiring. However if it is an easy access for me...it might also be easy for some snakes and miscellaneous critters :-(

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.