Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, November 15, 2016

If it wasn't for bad luck I would have no luck at all

Post for Friday - November 4, 2016

I was supposed to leave for my second leg of the trip to the cook-off on Friday morning but due to circumstances beyond my control, I was not able to do so until Saturday.  I barely slept the night before so like it or not I bought a 30 oz coffee refill to keep me wide awake as I made my way back to my favorite desert in the midst of light drizzle.



Just as I was about to enter Sanderson, Texas and stop at Stripes to use the facilities, traffic came to a halt.  After about ten minutes I decided to turn the car off.  Some people from the back of the line went to go find out what was going on. I was informed that two eighteen wheelers had jackknifed and it would be a while before tow trucks could arrive.


Did I mention I had drank 30 oz, of coffee?  Dang, that is when you wish you were a man as I watched the guy in front of me relieve himself...grrrrrrrrrrr!!!


Decided to put on make-up to kill time as well as re-arrange my trunk and back seat.  After nearly an hour the road was once again opened to traffic.  As I entered Sanderson I saw a restaurant to the left with five DPS (Department of Public Safety) vehicles and multiple bikes.  Could it be that the DPS that swarm the cook-off decided to leave early or was it just wishful thinking on my part? Actually,  I have no idea when they leave.


Reached Stripes just in time, as on my way out, the line of waiting cars decided to descend on the store perhaps for the same reason as I.


Right after you get through all the hills and winding turns leading from Alpine and it turns to flat desert land I did not notice a DPS unit.  The flashing red and blue lights brought me back to reality.  I sat in my car for about five minutes before the officer approached me.

"Hello Ma'am, do you know what rate of speed you were traveling at?"  Me "No, Sir."  He told me the alleged speed and said he was going to have to issue me a citation.  Takes my driver's license and insurance card and goes off for another ten minutes but not before eyeballing my car. Thanks to the extra time I had at the accident, all I had on the front passenger side was four gallons of water and my wash bucket. In the back seat, I only had my sleeping bag.

I thought it rather odd that he approached me from the passenger side and not the driver's side. Oh well, what does it matter...a ticket is a ticket.  What really pissed me off is that I know better! How many times have I warned my readers about all the heat (law enforcement) during the cook-off.  Need to take my own advice. I go into a lot of detail so I can re-read this before I head out to next year's event, if I am still alive and kicking. Note to self:  Use your cruise control.

I had never come so late on Saturday before, there was a lot of traffic heading back to Alpine. Trailer after trailer that was obviously coming from the cook-off.  Glad they got an early start so the line won't be so long at the Border Patrol Checkpoint for those that head out on Sunday.

Stopped by the side of the road to take a picture of the "other" chili cook-off.  This is the Original Terlingua International Frank X. Tolbert-Wick Fowler Championship Chili Cook-off...better known as the cook-off behind the store.


Sorry, it is not a very good picture.


Finally made it to the cook-off and got to spend time with my two dearest friends.  One I had not seen since 2012 and the other since 2014 and both times it was in Terlingua instead of Houston. More than close friends they are my sisters, family of my own choosing.

My friends new trailer and their truck
This evening I said goodbye to my diet and indulged in all the food set out before me.  I had real homemade potato salad, beef ribs, fajitas, borracho beans, sausage, shrimp, jalapenos wrapped in bacon and I served myself seconds, thirds and why not even fourths...as I washed it down with several cold beverages...:D

Its first two bumper stickers
Then we danced the night away and enjoyed a big roaring fire even though this year it was not cold at all. Thank you guys for all the food, ambiance, hospitality, but most importantly your friendship. It doesn't all end with this post, I stayed until Monday so stay tuned for more posts from the desert and pictures to back it up.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. Now THATS what I'm talkin about! Glad you had a great time but sorry about the ticket. Thanks for the report. gsg

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like so much fun, but sorry about the ticket. I think I would have figured something to wrap around me maybe, but I would open my car door on the passenger side and "squat". Men go right out in the open when they need to, so why should women not do the same, but with a little more discretion. Can't wait to hear more about the cook-off. It sounds like so much good food and so much fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think any configuration I would have chosen, the 18 wheeler who was behind me (second picture) would have seen me. It's a good thing I have a strong bladder :D

      Even though I only got to see my friends for one night, it was well worth the ticket and the long wait at the accident site.

      Delete
  3. Dang those cops, never see one when you need him! I know where you were stopped on the hiway, where the 18 wheeler is, you are about 1.5 miles from my ranch gate, and you go over that mountain in the background where the rr tracks are about 6 miles, and your at camp!
    Glad you had a good time, take care.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of you when I go through Sanderson, lovely country out there. Your camp sure is a long ways from your gate!

      It is never a good idea to make up for lost time by speeding, a lesson I learned the hard way :(

      Delete
  4. You had enough time to set up a tent and go pee at the truck wreck. I would have asked the guy to keep an eye out and just peed. How awful! You drove the road four times and only had one bad trip...was nice to see you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I will keep an extra potty in my car! I have a pop-up shower tent that I never learned to fold no matter how many times I watched that tiny Japanese lady folding it on YouTube. That would have been ideal. Just hope there is "no next time".

      It was nice getting to spend time with you, Gunther and Poe.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.