Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, April 3, 2017

Barricaded

Saturday night another round of strong thunderstorm moved into the area.  I lost the TV signal at 12:20 a.m. and decided to go to bed.  I woke up in the middle of the night and turned around to see what time it was only to see the alarm clock was blank...yep, the power had gone out sometime during the evening.  Got up to check on mother and saw that it was 6:00 a.m.


The electricity did not come back on until 11:32 a.m.  I later learned that it was a very heavy storm and that 5.49 inches of rain had fallen in the area. I had been busy in the yard all day...No, I did not pull weeds...I raked leaves and filled four 52 pound dog food bags with them, trash and rocks. I was so tired I did not hear anything or rather I heard it but it was like in the distance.


Why rake leaves and not pull weeds?  In heavy rain the leaves float down to the main gate and get stuck there.  Maybe I will tackle the weeds after it all dries out?


There was an early Spurs game on Sunday (Utah vs Spurs) so decided to pick us up something to eat. I did not get far as the entrance to the sub-division was barricaded due to the high water.


It used to be worst until they fixed it two years ago but I guess 5.49 inches of rain was a bit much for this mini dam. I parked the car and walked the bridge to take a few pictures.  This is known as the "Duck Pond" and serves as the unofficial zoo for the area.


You will always find people with children coming to feed the ducks. This one guy was very boisterous but I had nothing to offer him.


I guess this person is lucky their truck did not get carried away by the current.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. That is a lot of rain to get in a short time. Thanks for posting the pictures and they really tell the story. I'm glad for all the rain we've had this winter and sort of dread going into the long hot dry season, and the rains aren't finished with Sacramento yet. I hope all the animals stayed safe and relatively dry. How did the dogs manage?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am grateful for the rains though I am not looking forward to the high temperatures. I know you guys have been having a lot of rains as well, hope it has helped with the drought situation.

      The dogs stay in the covered area by the kitchen. Pedrito hides behind the old washing machine and Oscar in a cucha. Tammie is the only one that has enough sense and goes to seek shelter in the garage under Terlita (my camping van).

      Delete
  2. Too bad all that rain could not have been spread out over the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too bad Dizzy, we will really need it then. If we could only get mother nature to cooperate :)

      Delete
  3. Pinche Lakers tonite! ((((((Yaaaaawn))))))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't mind if we lose, after all we can not win them all but when we lose to teams like the Lakers and New York, it really pisses me off.

      The Lakers had nothing to lose it would have been better for them if they had not won, at least lottery wise. They beat Memphis and they beat us, who would have thought?

      I was switching back and forth between the Pinche Cavaliers and the Celtics. Not my night, darn Cavaliers won :(

      Delete
    2. To heck with the NBA. What're we gonna do w/o Barney? You're a sweet lady - maybe you can encourage him to make a post every now and then - he ain't gonna listen to an old f@rt like me!

      Delete
    3. I could not believe it either :(

      I tried to go to his blog but either my internet is not cooperating (I am out of daytime data) or he erased his blog. Do you happen to know?

      Just answering your comment has taken me 15 minutes...grrrrrr!!!

      Delete
  4. What a pretty area that is, even with overcast skies. I can't get over how much more lush Del Rio is off desert-y old HWY 90 & I'd never have known it except for this blog. That big ranch house (if that's what it is) has such a nice view. Too bad Walter can't live there!;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The city of Del Rio was first established along the banks of San Felipe Springs (which up to this day is the source of our water supply).

      There are century old trees in the old neighbors and it is very green and lush in stark contrast to the desert vegetation found along Hwy 90.

      That big ranch house used to belong to the descendants of Frank Qualia an Italian immigrant family who arrived in Del Rio in the 1880's and founded Val Verde Winery which is the oldest bonded winery in the state of Texas with more than 100 years in the same family.

      I do not know who owns it now but they have several horses one in particular who bares a strong resemblance to Walter, I had to do a double take. I wish little Walter could live there as they have plenty of grass for grazing and a larger pond in the back of the property so he would never go thirsty.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.