Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Does anyone use VPN's ?

Do any of you all use VPN's (Virtual Private Networks)?  I have been hearing more and more about them but not sure if to jump on the bandwagon.  I spend a lot of time on public wi-fi (doctors offices, hospitals, motels, fast food establishments) and I certainly do not want to get hacked!

Found a website that compares some top VPN's and they use terms that I have never heard before like Unlimited P2P / Torrenting or Torrent Anonymously. Guess I need to do some more research. https://www.vpnmentor.com/best-vpn-in-usa/?tm=1&keyword=best%20vpn%20software&geo=9028337&device=&keyword=best%20vpn%20software&campaignID=1337988682&matchtype=e&adg

My ISP is Spectrum and they provide their users with free McAfee Anti-virus protection but lately have been pushing another feature which name escapes me at the moment McAfee Safe Connect as well as TunnelBear Secure VPN service.  When did using the Internet get so complicated?

Since it is morning can not wish you a good night and Terlingua Dreams.  So have a great day instead!

16 comments:

  1. I just get on the internet and cross my fingers. . . (grin)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I figured you would know after being victim of ramsonware.

      Delete
  2. I hope someone who knows gives you a lesson, I'd like to learn too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am missing my research assistant Leilani...:-(

      Delete
    2. Sorry I can't help Ss. I still have a flip phone and don't even text. Trying to find yours and the OFM blogs are a daily challenge for me. Yet I am happy and content in all this confusion. hee

      Delete
    3. On another note Andy...I can not believe we dropped another game :-(

      Delete
  3. Never heard of these things but I have heard of McAfee but have never used it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO will have to research it further but it wont be tonight.

      Delete
  4. A VPN is often recommended if you use a public wi-fi to access anything that requires a username and password (like email account, bank account, blog, etc.). If you’re just browsing the web on a public wi-fi, then probably no need for a VPN. Also, probably no need for a VPN if you access the internet directly through a trusted source like ATT, Verizon (humm...how much do I trust them? – well, more than a motel or local coffee shop). Full disclosure: I’m no computer geek.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hachita, I do access a lot of things that require logins in particular my e-mails. I use the waiting time to catch up on a lot of things but try not to make payments but sometimes one has to.

      Thank you for your input.

      Delete
  5. I spend so much time on my computer at home I never use it when I'm out -in a doctor's office, etc. Come to think of it, nearly everyone I know uses their phones all the time and that includes internet. Not sure if the security is part of their phone, but I too just have a flip phone and it suits me fine.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The VPN subscriptions cover up to 5 devices. Most people use their cell phones exclusively but like yourself I mainly use my home computer.

      We were recently out of town and I had to use my phone to access bank records in order to send out payments and I was not comfortable with that.

      You hear so many things in the news about people being left with -0- in their bank accounts, it is scary.

      Delete
    2. I use the same credit union back in Ohio that I joined in about 1958! They have grown tremendously since those days, but they still watch out for their customers. I have been notified several times when they wanted to make sure about a withdrawal, and I feel as safe as I could ever feel with any financial institution. In addition, you can stil call and talk to a person!

      Delete
    3. You are lucky to have such a good credit union. My current bank nor my 30 plus year membership in my own credit union have ever contacted me about a questionable withdrawal.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.