Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, November 12, 2012

Quick Trip to Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico

For the life of me I cannot find my high blood pressure medication in all the stuff I have in my car. It was much easier to just go buy some more.  My uncle was also running low on his prescriptions so off we went to Acuna.

If you are an American tourist, you will find a lot of pharmacies as soon as you cross the international bridge into Mexico.  However, you will pay more for this convenience.  You will get better prices if you go to pharmacies in grocery stores such as Gutierrez, Aurrera and Soriana.

You will also find lower prices in branches of the same pharmacies that are located outside of the main tourist area.  For example Benavidez or Guadalajara.  The pharmacies were quite busy today as a lot of customers tend to stock up before the new years price increase.  You can bring back to the US a three months supply.

Today we only went to Aurrera (owned by Wal-Mart) and apart from buying medication also bought groceries.  Mother bought out their fruits and vegetable section jajajaja ....seriously she bought calabacitas, tomato, onions, papaya, bananas, lettuce, cilantro, azelgas, nopales, broccoli and others that do not come to mind.



She also stocked up on cookies, sweet bread, powdered milk, beans, yogurt and corn tortillas. We had two cart fulls of groceries for which we paid the equivalent of $66.00 USD.



You cannot take pictures but I was trying with my uncles help to try to take one of the liquor section but only managed a closer shot of the wine section.  In Mexico during the Christmas holidays a great deal of Tequila and other liquor distillers offer "a pilon" which means extra in spanish.  For example you can buy a bottle of whatever and they will give you as a gift a small bottle of their product or shot glasses.  One year Kahlua gave flip-flops, I always take them to Terlingua in case I go to the pay showers :D

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

7 comments:

  1. Interesting...what is the conversion rate? If it says $75.00 how much does that cost in US dollars?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The rate changes daily but a good way to gauge is to move the decimal point over and it would be $7.50 USD

      I buy Mexican pesos when the exchange rate is low as I like to pay in their currency. Yesterday I believe the exchange rate was $12.85 to one US dollar. That would make that bottle cost $5.84 USD.

      Delete
    2. Thanks MsB! Good info to know...and that is very inexpensive hooch.

      Delete
  2. I don't have a pass port so have to stay in the U.S. but that is OK with me. There is a lot of the U.S. that I have not seen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a lot of the U.S. I have not seen either and hopefully will one day get to see.

      However living in the border and not having health insurance, it is important I have a passport (also have a passcard) so I can go to the doctor, buy my medication and save on groceries.

      Ciudad Acuna is five minutes from my mother's house in Del Rio, Texas.

      Delete
  3. Is there any good places to eat you would recommend? I went to a place named Julios on my way out of Del Rio last week,,,was good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frann I very seldom eat at a restaurant in Del Rio. The only place I could get my mother to go to was Luby's but when they closed we quit going out.

      The only place I go once in a while and that I do recommend is breakfast at the Sirloin Stockade but that is only available on Saturday and Sunday's.

      Billy Bob and Barney (Old Fat Man Adventures) seem to frequent a restaurant called El Palenque which is in a strip center across from Whataburger.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.