Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, March 9, 2017

No Internet / AARP / San Antonio

It seems that each month I am running out of Internet GB's sooner and sooner and NO, I do not plan on purchasing additional capacity.

Warning

You have exceeded your plan’s Monthly Anytime Usage Allowance and as a result your download speeds have been greatly reduced. If you would like to increase your Monthly Anytime Usage Allowance for the remainder of this Current Usage period, you may do so by purchasing additional capacity below.

Actually, I ran out last week but since we had to go to San Antonio decided I would use the free internet at the hotel that being an AARP member affords me.  Surprise, as of March 4th, they did away with special benefits to AARP members like late checkout and free internet. In its place, they instituted an across the board 10 percent discount to seniors.

What is this world coming to? No late checkouts, no free internet, no Spurs games, no Telemundo...looks like I am going to have to find me another hotel chain...grrrrrrrrrrr!!!!

That is unfortunate as I had finally learned how to arrive at this location and to the three doctors offices that we frequent in the Medical Center without getting lost. So I ended up lugging my heavy laptop for nothing. I could have tapped into their Wi-Fi but I was not going to pay for the privilege. Mother is right, I am a "centavera" (Spanish for penny-pincher) jajajajajajaja :D

I finally made it to Target and got to use my $5.00 discount card. We were already packed but I managed to free up some space for huge rolls of paper towels, and other paper products I bought. Schlotzky's is located in this shopping center so off we went for a late lunch only to find a sign saying they had moved to Potranco Road...so goes my luck!

Asked around found Potranco Road but did not find the new location so left San Antonio with a heavy heart and an empty stomach.  I usually take stuff for mother to eat but not for myself. Who cares about cholesterol, saturated fat, carbohydrates or high glucose levels when you are in San Antonio?

We stopped at Dairy Queen in Castroville and had a great meal, we even had snow cones for dessert. I have always liked this little town, in particular, its small and well-kept cemetery. Yes, I know I am strange but what do you think finally sold me on Terlingua?  Its historic cemetery of course.

Good night,  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Spurs Corner

Arrived in Del Rio just in time to catch the Spurs vs Sacramento Kings game last evening. For a while there I could not believe the score, thought perhaps my glucose levels had gone through the roof and I was seeing things.  Glad we got our act together and pulled a win!

Though I was very tired, I stayed up to watch the Golden State Warriors drop three in a row...man, I love basketball :)


10 comments:

  1. It sounds like all the gods of San Antonio were against you. Most motels offer a senior discount, so I wouldn't continue to specifically look for an AARP discount. I quit my membership years back when I found I qualified for just about all the discounts on my own.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been getting senior discounts for some time now through mother but I will soon be able to qualify on my own. While this particular chain allowed a 2:00 p.m. check out, it will now be a noon check-out but that is ok as we are usually gone by then.

      The Internet wont be a deal breaker either but I must be able to watch Telemundo and Fox Sports Southwest.

      Delete
  2. You never heard of Whataburger or Taco Cabana? hee hee I know I know....

    Go SPURS Go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to frequent establishments that we do not have in Del Rio. Per Barney of OFM Adventures fame the Whataburger in Del Rio is one of the best he has ever eaten at. Funny that you mention them because this time we did eat there.

      I love Taco Cabana in particular their beef fajita plate but it seems a shame that I can not enjoy a frozen margarita with my meal or I will get to hear the "evils of drinking speech" and it is just not worth it.

      Delete
  3. Completely slipped my mind about national TV hex. Oh well, beat the Golden Warriors Saturday and all is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beginning to think there might be something to your "national TV hex".

      I am worried about Kawhi taking a hit to the head. I have not had a chance to read up on it but I think the Golden State Warriors are not going to play some key players. Either way it should make for an enjoyable game.

      GSG!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
  4. Hi Belinda, I too must use a jet-pack for internet here in the middle of no-where. I was going through tons of data, no explanation as to why. I finally downloaded the ad-blocker software and set my settings where videos do not automatically play and my data usage has decreased considerably. Just a thought!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am going to have to look into that 3Catahoulas, I just hope it is easy to do in particular those videos that play automatically.

      Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
    2. [Edit: Dang, the form ate my comment. Good thing I learned a long time to right click+copy my comments on blogspot before I submit so I can repaste it.]

      That *is* good advice about downloading adblocker & fixing autoplay settings. Thanks 3Catahoulas!

      I love Castroville too, Ms. B. (I am part Alsatian, although my ancestors didn't emigrate to Texas with Castro's colony.) Castroville's not as sleepy as it was since San Antonio's suburban developers started making inroads there, unfortunately. But it still maintains that flavor of a small European hamlet while still so (relatively) close to the big city.

      There's a burger place called BillyBob's on Hwy 90 (there's also one just up the road in Hondo). I've not tried either of them yet but I thought you might stop there & give us a review sometime since you know the owner. ;-) Also you should try the bakery (Haby's) sometime.

      Delete
    3. In the 80's I became smitten with this little town on my trips back and forth from Houston to Del Rio. In the late 80's to early 90's when I decided to look into real estate prices in the area, they were way beyond what I could afford. I can only imagine what they are now!

      I have wanted to stop for some time at the Billy Bob's in Hondo but I have only managed to stop long enough to take a picture.

      The newer location in Castroville has more parking space but again I almost always seem to be in a hurry either to arrive in San Antonio or return to Del Rio...maybe one of these days.

      Mom loves bakeries, I do believe I have stopped at Haby's in the past but it has been a good while thanks for reminding me of it.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.