Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, December 7, 2017

Let it snow...

It has been cold and raining for two solid days.  I barely slept last night as I kept on getting up to check the kitchen for leaks, fortunately, we did not get any.

The "S" word had been in the forecast for areas northwest of us but I generally do not believe the weather people.  The alarm went off this morning but I have it far away from me so I can not reach it unless I get up. I have it set to a local radio station where I learned that it had snowed heavily in the northern Mexican state of Coahuila as well as other states and then crossed the border into Texas.

While Del Rio did not receive snow, Brackettville (30 miles away) and Eagle Pass (60 miles south of us), as well as other little towns in between, were lucky enough to see it.  I have a love-hate relationship with snow.  When I was going to school at Sul Ross State in Alpine, Texas it snowed a lot and I fell on more than one occasion.

However, snow is not common in Houston or for that matter Del Rio so I do not mind experiencing it every decade or so.  As I was watching the 6:00 p.m. news the anchors were very excited because it was snowing in Uvalde, Hondo and then moved into the northern part of San Antonio.

Then it started reaching other areas of San Antonio and it was snowing heavily. The official reading at the airport was 1.9 inches and everyone was excited including me!  Last time they had measurable snow was back in 1985...32 years ago.

Loved watching videos of little kids experiencing their first snowfall.  I did not experience mine until I was nine years old.  I will never forget back in high school when an exchange student from Africa started crying because she had never seen snow in her life. She was lucky as it took place in April and by that time it is already in the 90's here.

If it snows it will happen in the early morning hours so the chance of me seeing it are slim to none. Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow.....:-)

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. Good snow is where you don't have to move it, just look at it & play until it's gone. You'll get good snow!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We got snow here where I live (about 30 miles north of Houston). I took pictures and posted them on my blog (dizzydick.blogspot.com). Check them out. First measurable snow since 2009.

      Delete
    2. I agree Rob, I do not know how people up north do it when they have to clear the snow off of their driveways, sidewalks and roofs.

      Delete
    3. I am so glad you got snow Dizzy. I am off to your blog to see the pictures.

      Delete
  2. There was light snow in Texas City Texas this morning a reader emailed me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This snow event was a true surprise to many Texas cities where snow does not normally fall.

      Delete
  3. I hope you get just a little for you to see in the morning and then let melt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow ended skipping Del Rio but fell in some unlikely places like Laredo, Brownsville, Corpus Christi and Padre Island.

      Delete
  4. I loved shoveling snow when I lived back in Cincinnati. All the women of the neighborhood were out clearing driveways and sidewalks - some "scientists and doctors" came up with the idea that men shouldn't shovel snow because they were more prone to heart attacks. This was in the 1970's, and the poor men didn't get to go out and enjoy shoveling the snow while it was pristine and beautiful. I think as long as the wind isn't blowing you can dress warmly and keep warm while shoveling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had heard about that study but I figured it applied to both sexes. Study not withstanding if I was married and lived in a place where it snowed...HE would be shoveling snow or we would be getting a divorce :)

      Delete
  5. Ss - thanks so much for the Fox Go link - was able to watch the loss in Dallas but was fun to watch Kawhi.

    GSG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad it worked for you, need to download it so I can watch our Spurs on my tablet when we are out of town.

      It sure was good to see Kawhi playing again though I must admit I was a little nervous when he was on the floor.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.