Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, August 24, 2018

Butterflies, Mosquitoes and Purple Sage

This week we have been hit by swarms of little butterflies. They are everywhere and are a great source of enjoyment for the kittens who love to chase them.

Last week I think it was Wednesday, August 15th we had heavy rains in the neighborhood of 4 plus inches. The severe drought we have experienced this summer gave way to greenery and blooming purple sage.

We have also had winds and that has lessened the hearty blooms on the purple sage bushes.  I have not been able to take any pictures as the back way into town is a heavily transited two-lane road with no place to pull over.

Of course, no heavy rain event would be complete without the presence of pesky mosquitoes.  Those varmints are everywhere.  Last year I bought this roll-on Bug Bite Relief at Dollar Tree but had not had the opportunity to use it until now.  I am impressed, it does make the sting go away.

Today I had to go pick up a prescription at HEB which I try to avoid due to the large number of people always there.  I was happily surprised that being a Friday afternoon there was a lull in the crowds as well as at Walmart.  Perhaps the triple-digit temperatures played a role here.

Speaking of Walmart, I was in the cat aisle when I spotted pelletized cat litter.  I had to smile as it never occurred to me to use it for that purpose then I remembered that I caught Paquito using the one I put around the trash cans that collect the rainwater and scolding him for it. They are outdoor cats so there is really nothing I can do about it, at least it does not stink.

If you do happen to use pelletized cat litter you are better off buying the large bags of horse pellets as they are much cheaper.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. I'm guessing the mosquitoes are not there during the dry 50 weeks a year...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to hear you finally had some good rains. But not so happy about the mosquitoes nasty things. I also use the AfterBite stuff works wonders

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, I need to go check Dollar Tree again for the Bug Bite Relief as I almost used it all up.

      Delete
  3. Ditto, glad you got some good rain. I just hope CA has a rainy season this winter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gypsy, I hope you get some good soaking rains (that's what my favorite meteorologist calls them) this winter. You guys have gone through so much this summer!

      Delete
  4. SPURS corner: Adios, Manu y muchas gracias!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.