Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, August 16, 2018

RIP Aretha Franklin 1942-2018

Woke up to the sad news of Aretha Franklin's passing.  It seems like more of the great ones are leaving us much too soon.  Another victim of cancer...pancreatic cancer to be exact.


I spent all day watching cable news where they honored and celebrated her life and legacy. I shed more than a few of tears today.


I have to say that Don Lemon on his nightly show on CNN gave what I considered the most heartfelt tribute to this great American icon.

In his closing statement, he said something that really struck a chord with me.  This is not a direct quote but close to it..."At this moment in time when the nation is so divided, for one day we have come together to mourn and celebrate this unique treasure".

May you Rest in Peace Miss Franklin.

8 comments:

  1. She was just a year older than I am. It is hard to believe that I made it this far. Yep, she will be missed. She had quite a voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fortunately Dizzy she left us her music to remember her by.

      Delete
  2. Her voice left you with the feeling of what a powerful Lady she was. May she RIP

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was so talented. I had no idea she could sing opera and filled in with less than an hour for Luciano Pavarroti when he bailed on one of the award shows.

      Delete
  3. I'm about 2 yrs older than Aretha Franklin and always enjoyed her music and her powerful voice. I was sorry to hear of her passing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Learned that she was a very private person and that few people even knew of her years of battling this awful disease and the ones that knew did not even know what kind of cancer she suffered from.

      I will miss her but take solace in the fact that she is no longer suffering.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.