Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, December 22, 2022

The Big Texas Chill of 2022

I have been prepping for the arctic blast this week that arrived three hours ago. While it will be cold it will not compare to the Texas Freeze of February 2021. No precipitation is expected, meaning no nasty "snow" like the 14-plus inches we had on that prior occasion.


Yesterday I spent all morning trimming trees whose branches were rubbing on the roof. Then put away all things that could become projectiles with the expected strong wind gusts. I also filled four of my 6-gallon water jugs along with multiple one-gallon milk containers and three of my 32-gallon water catchment garbage cans in case the pipes burst or the City of Del Rio loses water pressure.


While the above temperatures are not too bad it feels a lot colder with the wind. These are the expected temperatures this evening but will be colder tomorrow. Except for the Texas panhandle and northern parts of the state we are not used to these freezing temperatures.


I feel sorry for my fur babies but I can not bring them inside. I did set up more "cuchas"... which means beds in Spanish...cut up an old blanket to beef up their bedding.

One of two cats from Luna's first litter...I have not named them yet even though they are about nine months old. They are feral like their mother and while they like my food they do not like me.



This is Chester a cat that was abandoned by its owners when they moved. He was almost skin and bones when he arrived at the house but is now back to his old chunky self. Chester is a kind-hearted and very loveable cat. He found Suzie when someone dumped her at the house and protected her.


Here are the quintuplets though you can not see the fifth one. They are from Grayson's first and only litter since I had her fixed after thinking she was a male. They turned six months old on December 21st and I can now have them legally fixed in Mexico.



During the Big Texas Chill, they will be housed in the mudroom/junk room because I can still control them. I can not say the same about older cats who have a mind of their own.


Here are my two baby kittens...Suzie the Siamese somebody dumped, and Bianca...whose mother (Luna) killed her two siblings and wants nothing to do with her. Suzie babysits Bianca and protects her.


Bundle up, friends!  Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




12 comments:

  1. Hope it isn't or wasn't as bad as called for. Since I'm late seeing this post. May you all be safe. They say this is going to be a very cold winter everwhere! It sure has been cold here but Christmas Eve and Christmas day it will actually be in the 70's its a heat wave.
    Happy Hollidays !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi JO! You are not late as I barely posted this yesterday afternoon and had a lot of trouble uploading photos. Our lying governor told us we would not have any power outages like we suffered in 2021 but lord and behold last night as I was updating my blog the power went out and my post disappeared.

      I counted and gave up after six times but more outages occurred during the night. It was so cold this morning (23 degrees) but I had to go feed the older cats and give them fresh water as theirs froze.

      Glad to hear that you will be in the 70s on Christmas Eve as well as Christmas Day. I have no idea what our weather will be like as I have not watched the news yet.

      I swung by your blog but it said it had no comments though I had left you one and you have a lot of followers whom I am sure also commented. I hope Blogger helps you resolve your issues.

      Delete
  2. I can't even see any comments not even on my notebook. And we both know blogger isn't going to answer or help with this problem.
    Sorry about the power, we used to have lots of problems but seems they fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear that and you're correct Blogger is not very helpful. At least the power did not go out last night but the cable and internet did. :-(

      Delete
  3. I suspect you've all made it through OK even with your local outages. I was happy nothing happened up here, except COLD temps. And big wind. But we made it OK. So pleased your cats used the cuchas. I, among many others I know, have made cuchas for outdoor cats, only to find that they were completely rejected!!! Not up to specs. Which specs are unknown to me. A place out of the wind and with a soft place to curl up in seem reasonable to me. Not to some in cat-dom, apparently. A warmup is in store....for up here, so I'm sure it will be down there as well. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We made it OK despite the local outages, even San Antonio and Houston had power outages so I don't feel so bad. To this day I do not know how we lucked out and kept our power on during the Texas Freeze of 2021 as well as our water service while those within the Del Rio City limits did not.

      I am lucky my cats are not picky and make use of their cuchas. I added two more since some of the cats do not like each other and want a bed of their own...:-)

      A warm-up is on the way for New Year's though I wish it weren't as it will lead to more firework popping. It was cold as heck during Christmas but they popped them until late in the night.

      Delete
    2. Ole, ole. Feliz ano nuevo!! Here too sometimes on the popping.....somehow I'm not so bothered on New Year's eve. As long as it's not bone dry and they're not going to start fires.

      Delete
  4. Hope you're OK. This seems a longer break than usual.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern but I do not have any kind of time table for writing a post. I only made two posts in November and two in December 2022.

      I have not done anything that would merit a post. I would rather not write anything rather than bore my readers writing about the same stuff.

      Delete
    2. I'm not sure what you would write would ever be boring.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.