Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Bargain Saturday

Woke up at 5:30 a.m. and could not go back to sleep.  The weatherman had warned of showers so went to eat breakfast and run errands early to be one step ahead of them. Got home by 11:00 a.m. when the sky opened up.


One of my stops this morning was the Giant Dollar Store where due to inflation things now cost $1.09.  I usually make this my last stop in the dollar store circuit and purchase what I could not find for a dime less (let’s say I am frugal) jajajajaja :D

We were invaded by flies two weeks ago and since then have read in various blogs where it has happened to other bloggers in different Texas cities.  Trouble in Tx mentioned fly strips and for the life of me I do not know why I did not think of them when we were bombarded in Del Rio.  Guess I can blame my CRS syndrome for this as well.  So look what I bought…doubt I could have found them any cheaper elsewhere.


If your city has a Staples store I highly recommend you sign up for their Rewards card, it is free and you can save a lot of money.  I personally buy a lot of batteries and at different times during the year you can get them for free.  Well you pay for them…but they will reimburse 100% to your Rewards card … then you can use the money to buy whatever you please.  I got an 8 GB SDHC card as well as a 4 GB memory stick for free.


Last but not least Harbor Freight…needed this Mesh Screen Face Shield  for when I am wacking weeds…saved a little by using one of their 20 percent off coupons.  Their Dust Masks are much better than those sold at the dollar stores while still costing the same and I used one of their purchase any item coupon and got a 6-piece Screwdriver Set for free.





We probably got about ½ an inch of rain or more and are expecting more showers tomorrow.  Hope you were lucky enough to get some liquid gold in your respective areas as well.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. MsBelinda,

    Just found your blog tonight. I will likely spend all night catching up, but I wanted to drop in and say HI! My name is Chris and myself, my wife and our 2 girls are moving to Terlingua to build our homestead soon. You do know there are no weeds to whack down there, right? :) Oh and you'll never have to mow the lawn again! I was born and raised in Missouri and i'm so happy to be done with the grass cutting and the humidity.

    Anyway... I look forward to following along. If you would like, we're doing a blog too. Not on blogger though, so I try to include this signature so people know who the heck we are.

    Off to catch up on your blog....

    Chris Miller
    Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, read you on Tffnguy's blog a couple of weeks ago and have been lurking in yours as well.

      Living in Terlingua specially with a young family is going to be a challenge. Look forward to following your journey.

      Delete
  2. lololol,,,about those fly strips!! My fly situation is better, or i was gonna do that. (Used 1/2 can spray, got a sore are from swatting).
    Love that mask, didn't know they made em like that. The mesh one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know they made them in mesh either. I have the clear plastic one but it is difficult to breath with it on and it is scratched up.

      Delete
  3. MsB, we got one tenth about ten thirty this morning, I'm jealous.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At your house or at the ranch? Either way glad you got some rain.

      Delete
  4. I tried some fly strips around here and don't think they caught over a couple of flies. They did great of gnats and a few other small bugs though. I think even a cone nose got trapped by one. There's usually a huge fly problem here and I just deal with them by swatting them. The fly spray smells way to bad to use and doesn't seem to work too good either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad the strips worked if not for the flies, for the other bugs.

      Mother is allergic to all type of sprays so cannot use them. She broke two fly swatters killing them.

      Delete
  5. I've been buying the sticky tubes around here. Don't go for the red and white, OR the silver though. Totally worthless. Go YELLOW!

    The tubes are great because they come out of the box ready to go. No messing around, no getting stuck to the things.

    This week I am experimenting with a an indoor UV glow light with sticky trap contraption and a new Flowtron bug zapper outside. I really don't like being bothered by bugs, and I swear I will add as many solar panels necessary to run a bug zapper 24/7 LONG before I ever build a screened in porch.

    I guess that makes me a girly man... but I just can't stand the things.

    Chris Miller
    Our180.com - One Family's Journey To Finding True Happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip Chris, I will go Yellow :)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.