Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, June 8, 2012

Electric String Trimmer Review

I am beginning to sound like a broken record but since this is my cyber diary I have to document that once again I spent the day wacking weeds, pruning trees and raking.  When asked most people that win the lottery will say they want to quit their job, buy a new house, a new car, go on vacation, etc., etc.  If I were lucky enough to ever hit it big the first thing I would do is HIRE A GARDENER!


I absolutely HATE yard work…always have, always will, but at this particular time, I do not have much choice.  Guess what awaits me when I get home?  You got it…more yard work, but at least there I can use my electric lawn mower on the little grass I have left unless it has somehow died off since my last trip to Houston.


In case you were thinking of buying a RYOBI  12” Cordless String Trimmer, on a scale of 1 to 10…I give it a ZERO!  Save your money it is a POS.  Too bad I did not return it last year like I did the electric Black and Decker weed eater that fell apart on me the first time I used it!


The only saving grace is that the battery is interchangeable with other RYOBI tools but in my case that does not apply as I do not own or for that matter know how to operate power tools.


This year I bought an inexpensive HOMELITE  4 Amp 13 inch cutting swath weed eater and I absolutely LOVE IT!  I had hesitated as I had never owned a two-line string trimmer before and didn’t know if I could thread it correctly.  Decided to buy pre-threaded spools, which come in a package of 3 and are not exactly cheap.  Another waste of money, I had to keep stopping to advance the tightly wound string that looked like a third grader had wound it.  Another POS…save your money and thread it yourself!


Sorry for the rant but if it helps just one person out then it was worth it and in the very remote case someone from RYOBI is reading this dribble…I want my money back!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

9 comments:

  1. I had about the same luck with a Black & Decker cordless trimmer I bought one time. It lasted for two sessions before it potted out. After that I went to a 4 stroke gas trimmer of some type. Can't remember what it was, but think it was a Troy Built. I was real happy with it, but no longer need it in Terlingua. I'm thinking about putting the motor on a bicycle to play with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My first weed eater was a Black & Decker single line electric trimmer and it was wonderful. I used it heavily both at home and at my mom's that is why I did not hesitate to replace it with the same brand.

      I read the reviews AFTER I had bought it instead of the other way around and found I was not the only one who had problems with it so I took it back. I did read the reviews on the RYOBI but it was a 50/50 split opinion wise so I took a gamble buying it.

      Would love to buy a gas trimmer but they are too heavy for me and I do not like to deal with gasoline and oil changes :-(

      Delete
  2. I spent a lot of money on an Echo that came with one of those spools that is supposedly easier to re-thread. It wasn't. I ended up buying two different aftermarket spools (one had little plastic blades that wore out after about three minutes of use, and the other has little pre-cut line holders) that I'm not really happy with. In short, I've spent a lot of money on this set-up and it really doesn't do any better than the cheap Weedeater brand trimmer I had for about 13 years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Moral of the story is high price does not always equal a quality product.

      Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. I used a string trimmer once. That was nonsense when my Roundup application was easier and only had to be done three times a year back in Houston, Tx.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I used Roundup I would have to buy it by the truck load to tackle mother's weeds :D

      How did you edge your lawn?

      Delete
  4. I edged the concrete with a gasoline edger and then later with an electric edger. Been so long since I did yard work they might not make edgers anymore. Luv the wheels on the house. It gets high grass, cold or hot you just couple up and roll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that you mention it I think I have seen electric edgers...but that would be another tool to have to log between Del Rio and Houston.

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.