Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, June 23, 2012

Farewell Dear Ben

This is so difficult for me to write but I feel I owe it to Ben.  His blog “An Older Texan Remembers” was well known and read within our blogging circle and beyond.

I “met” Ben like many of you did by reading his comments on “The Field Lab”.  I have been reading his blog for four years and you could set your clock by it.  Being a night owl I would go check it before going to bed. He made his posts early in the morning, sometimes even at dawn and he updated it throughout the day.

Trouble in Texas said bloggers ARE family and I can certain say that is true.  I never met Ben in person but we read each other’s blogs and kept in touch by e-mail.  He was a great supported of my dream to one day make my home in Terlingua.

His dream was to purchase his Rita Casita and travel to Oregon to visit his daughter and her family.  He then wanted to travel the great state of Texas that he was so proud to be from and dearly loved.

He purchased Rita on June 8, 2012 but he never had the opportunity to take her on the road.  He was so happy when he got her home, like a kid with a new toy.  I’m sorry… I have to keep stopping because I can’t stop crying.  I feel like I have lost a family member, a friend or like he would refer to me “his little sister”.

My condolences go out to his family, friends, and fellow bloggers that will miss him as much as I will.  I know his rug rats will miss him as well. I sincerely hope that someone adopts them both, so they will not be separated.

Rest in peace dear Ben, at least you are with Ann now.

12 comments:

  1. OO Now im boohooing again. He didn't even get to spend one nite in his Casita. Been listening to Leonard Cohen all day,,kinda fits. Now i'm worried about Billy Bob,,heard nothing from him. Been too long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The first person I thought of when I heard the news was of Billy Bob.

      I know that even though they had their differences they continued to read each other's blogs and keep up with their lives.

      Delete
    2. Please get those leg cramps checked out. Not trying to scare you but could be blood clots..and i wonder about Ben's.

      Delete
    3. Trouble I need to see the doctor but I don't have medical coverage and I just paid my homeowners insurance in full.

      I usually go to the doctor in Mexico but for the problems I have been having I prefer a good old american doctor.

      Delete
  2. sorry for your loss. the rat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I visited with him at his home and he was planning to bring his new RV and come see me, I guess for a trial run before heading for Oregon. Everything seemed to be coming together for him and then he was gone. I am still shedding tears.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you guys were pretty close and he wanted to visit your place. You were lucky you got to meet him in person and spend time together.

      I too am having a hard time dealing with it. I want it to be a bad nightmare of which I soon will awaken.

      I can not believe he never even got to take Rita on a single trip after all the planning and anticipation.

      Delete
  4. Sorry for his loss as he always had great comments.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will miss his comments for sure...they could go to either end of the spectrum and often did. Guess that was part of his charm :)

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.