Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Triple A to the Rescue

I think one of the best decisions I ever made was to join the American Automobile Association otherwise known as Triple A.  I was in my early twenties, single and living in the big city.  I have always strived to be self sufficient and not bother my friends or family with little things like flat tires, jump starts and the always dreaded mechanical failure.  If you use them just once a year...you basically have recouped your annual dues.  Even if you don't use them at all...the peace of mind it buys is priceless.



He jumped started the Toyota and for a little extra removed the battery from mother's mini-van.  I went off to town to purchase a new battery for her car while at the same time charging my own battery.  It was awfully hot as I decided not to turn on the A/C hoping that would  help in charging it up faster.

Later in the afternoon something kept on nagging at me...my sixth sense?...so I went to start my car.  Darn it!  It was almost out of juice but I floored it and got it started.  By now it was close to 7:00 p.m. and the dealership was closed...I was not about to have it be drained by morning.  So off I went back to the auto parts store to have them check both the battery and the alternator.  Lucky for me it was only the battery that needed replacing.  Oh well...had to replace two batteries in one day :-(

I was going to drive to the lake and then around town but thought it best to bite the bullet and just get it replaced...it is after all almost four years old.  Was glad it happened while I was in Del Rio where I have access to another vehicle and not in Houston or worst yet in Terlingua!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. I should become a member of Triple A. You are right. It does produce a peace of mind. I'm sorry to hear that you are having vehicle problems. I have had issues with my vehicle and alot of people's responses have been, "get another or a new vehcile". Well, repairing my vehicle sure is a heck of a lot cheaper than a new car payment or insurance. So it might be a new battery but it's cheaper than a new car. Feel relieved that it all it is. Chin up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You being a guy you know how to change tires if you have a flat. Just from reading the blogs I follow in the Big Bend area...flats seem to be a reality of life there.

      With my bad back and lack of mechanical skills I would have to have Triple A...heck even living in the city it is of great help...I do not think I will ever drop my membership, even if I had a new car.

      I agree repairing a vehicle is a lot cheaper than car payments and the accompanying higher insurance rates.

      It may not seem like it...I was running around like a chicken with my head cut off...but I am glad it was only the battery that needed replacing.

      Delete
  2. Is AAA what you graduate to after being in AA for a number of years? (grin)

    ReplyDelete
  3. lololol DD. I replace my battery the first time it won't start. Charging one just delays the inevitable for a while, and leaves you caught somewhere with a dead one. Living alone, have to have a running vehicle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree with you more TnT. With my luck it would happen when I am miles away from anywhere like on my trips to Terlingua.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.