Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, February 5, 2015

February 2015 trip to Uvalde, Texas

We got an early start today as we had an 11:15 a.m. appointment in Uvalde, Texas. It was very cold this morning.  While I fixed mother breakfast, I decided to skip mine but stopped to buy me a cup of coffee so I could be awake and alert. Remembering last month's nearly tragic trip http://terlinguadreams.blogspot.com/2015/01/morbid-thoughts.html  I gave myself more time to get there while not having to drive over 55 mph in case another deer decided to give me a scare.

Just this past Monday gasoline was selling for $1.91 a gallon and today it was going for $1.99...it was nice while it lasted.  Was hoping it would be cheaper in Uvalde but it was the same.

HEB in Uvalde

I have mentioned before that we really like her Uvalde doctor and he is well worth the two or three hours that we have to wait to be seen.  With that said, I draw the line at five hours!

He comes from San Antonio once a week and they over book him.  Wish they would call and say he is running behind and tell us to arrive later like her primary doctor's office in town does. My poor mother was starving to death by the time we left his office!

I turned into the first fast food place I saw which happened to be a Jack in the Box.  My mother does not like fast food much less hamburgers but she gobbled it up.  I bought some coffee for her as she was freezing and the guy behind the counter told me he was going to brew her a fresh pot.  We had excellent service and they won her over which is not easy to do.

Neither one of us are coffee people...I am still jittery from my morning cup...hope mother can get to sleep tonight as she had hers in the afternoon.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. 5 hr is a long wait...
    I like Jack in the box, a good $2 burger ("Big Cheeseburger") and I always get enough napkins. Sometimes just for something different we'll get egg rolls, mozzarella sticks & jalapeno poppers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Someone had previously mentioned on the blog how good their jalapeno poppers were. If I had not been so hungry myself I think I would have ordered some. Even the egg rolls looked good and I am not into Chinese food.

      Yep, five hours is entirely too long.

      Delete
  2. Can YOU call and check on the wait time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can and I have but they will say he is running an hour behind when in fact it is really two to two and a half hours. My mother likes to arrive well ahead of her appointment time as she is a very punctual individual.

      Given that we are 70 miles away and we could have a flat, the car could break down, etc. I have no choice but to arrive on time and wait.

      Delete
  3. It is probably going to get worse before it gets better. More and more doctors are refusing new Medicare patients or dropping out of Medicare entirely. I think we patients are going to have to accept nurse practitioners or physician assistants at clinics for most of our 'doctor' care.
    That is who I saw at most of my 'doctor' visits at the VA, or doctors in residence which knew less that most nurse practitioners or physician assistants. I have been pleased with them and they will give you more time and pay more attention to what you have to say than most doctors will.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mother had not seen the doctor since her November visit. In December he sent his P.A. and last month we saw another physician in his medical practice but overall we are very pleased with him.

      I will give him the benefit of the doubt as perhaps he was a little behind with his patients medical charts. However five hours is a long time in particular for someone my mother's age.

      Her primary care doctor in Del Rio is a PA (physician assistant) and we just love him. He is more knowledgeable than some doctors we have had the misfortune to run across. His patients rave about him and it is easy to see why.

      Delete
  4. I think it is sinful to make an elderly person sit in a waiting room for that long. I'm like your Mother - I always like to arrive early just to make sure I'm not late!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being that he is an Oncologist and that many of his patients have cancer or are cancer survivors like in my mother's case, I think they should have a little more consideration for the patients as their defenses are more compromised than say those of a physician in family practice.

      We only have one Oncologist in Del Rio and she also serves the Eagle Pass area. We were not too happy with her over zealous billing department and some of her staff, that is why we bid her goodbye.

      You have travel to San Angelo or San Antonio to find other oncologists. In a way we are lucky that he travels to Uvalde as it would be a pain to have to drive to San Antonio.

      He is an excellent doctor, he just has way to many patients as the demand is great in this area.

      Delete
  5. Wow MY SPURS kicking A** tonite against those wretched Heat
    (hee) ok, YOURS too, Ss

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for making them "MY SPURS" as well...:D

      Great game!

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.