Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Road Closure

Many of my long time readers know that I live in the southern tip of Val Verde County closer to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila, Mexico than to the Del Rio, Texas city limits.

This was private ranch land for years until the owners died and their heirs who did not live in Del Rio decided to sell. There was only one way in and one way out until the flood of 1998 brought to light the plight of the residents who were pretty much land locked and unable to get out including my mother.

Fortunately for her she had me, whom I have always been a bargain hunter and why not...a hoarder. She had water, canned goods, powdered milk, paper goods and staples to get her by until the Texas Guard was able to cross the swollen creek that separates us from the rest of the county and bring in provisions.

At the time there had been talks with the owners of adjoining ranches to donate land to make an alternate exit to the north part of the city.  It took years and when it was finally built it was named Milagro Road (miracle in Spanish) because it was a miracle it was ever built.

However, no one ever wanted to address the fact that the Duck Pond crossing was dangerous and was not built for all the traffic that crossed it daily.  Finally the current commissioner found the funds to re-build it and it was closed this past Monday,


I was a little upset that I would have to go to the north part of the city and then head south to go to the Post Office, HEB and Mexico but you know what?  I absolutely love it!

This is the reason we moved to the county 40 plus years ago...for peace and tranquility. Since we are closer to the Duck Pond there is hardly any traffic unless you happen to live on this street.  No cars means the neighbor's dogs don't go crazy all night with every passing vehicle.

I could even ride a bike, if only Santa Claus had brought me one.  I even plan to go walking with our two strays...of course that wont take place until our cold front that is due tomorrow goes bye bye.

I am in hog heaven and now I wish they would not re-open the road.  I so plan to enjoy this month long reprieve.  It is as though I was in Terlingua :)

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.