Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, November 7, 2017

The Harvey Effect at the 2017 CASI Chili Cook-Off

While I was unable to make my yearly pilgrimage to my favorite desert this year, my two dearest friends and their entourage were.

I was told that there certainly was a Harvey effect (Hurricane Harvey that hit the Texas Gulf Coast in Aug 2017)...attendance was visibly down and there were not as many booths in participation on Saturday when they give out a lot of trinkets and have showmanship teams.

There are usually two bands going on at the same time. One at the main Pavilion and another at Krazy Flats (the wildest one).  The bands traditionally play on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday on both stages.  This year the bands only played on Thursday and Friday.

Krazy Flats being the spectator's area and where most of the younger attendees camp...was per my friends...awfully tame and low key than in prior years. There is a big camp there complete with dance poles and non-stop music that simply did not show up this year.

There were many other camps that are staples that were a no-show. Of course, that did not keep my friends from having a great time on their own. My best friend Ms.D even did a "Grito" on my behalf.  Lol, I can only imagine if you are not from Texas, you might be wondering what the heck that might be? I will just let you Google it...jajajajajajaja...:D

Not to be presumptuous but I was given a standing ovation in Buenos Aires, Argentina for said "Grito"...Ok, let's just say I had a bit too much wine at the time, but I did strike a note for my Mexican origins...as I firmly believe one must never forget where one comes from.

I spoke to my friends as they made their way back to Houston. I was promised pictures and videos but if you are new to my blog you must know that it takes at least a week if not more of rest to get back to your old self and recoup after partying in the desert for a week..unless you are under thirty and that is not the case with either myself or my friends!

So hold tight as I will sooner or later post pictures of both the 2017 CASI Chili Cook-off as well as of the Día de Los Muertos celebration held at the Terlingua Cemetery.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

18 comments:

  1. How many cook offs have you missed?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, I now have learned a new word today.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't wait to see the pictures. Sorry you had to miss the event this year, but there is always next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew that I could only make one trip, it was either Houston or Terlingua. I was glad I chose Houston because that took a huge load off my shoulders. Like you say there is always next year.

      Delete
  4. I love a good grito! You must videotape and post here soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Andy, you have been a reader long enough to know that is not going to happen.

      How about tonight's game against the Clippers? We played a darn good game if I do say so!

      Delete
    2. Aw, shoot! Well, you can't blame a guy for trying.

      GSG!

      Delete
    3. Big one tonite, Ss. Out of the 6 home games this is the only one I am worried about with that Greek freak guy.

      GSG!

      Delete
    4. I know he is good but actually I was more worried about the Clippers.

      Alridge is finally living up to expectations by playing like the player we drafted...Danny has added a new dimension to his game...not to mention our fabulous bench...I am not too worried.

      I will probably only be able to hear it because I have no idea if I have CW35 in my lineup.

      GO SPURS GO!!!!!

      Delete
    5. It's on ESPN tonite also. CW35 is for us po' folks with rabbit ears - early Christmas present as is Tuesday's game on KENS. Already counting my many blessings! I'd give it all up for Kawhi to be back.

      Delete
    6. Good to know my "worries" had a sound basis. Since I do fantasy basketball I am wise to such things, grasshopper.

      hee hee

      Manu looks GREAT!

      Delete
    7. Grasshopper?...is that fantansy basketball lingo?

      We had way too many turn overs. Manu in some games seems to turn back the hands of time. It is obvious we NEED Kawhi but I am glad he is taking his time though it is troublesome that his progress has been slow.

      Delete
    8. "Grasshopper" comes from that old Kung Fu Tv show with one of them Carradine boys. When he was a boy the Kung Fu "master" referred to him as "grasshopper" as he learned his way. Guess it didn't work here. Oh well.....

      Delete
    9. Lol, I never watched Kung Fu TV shows or movies...not my cup of tea...I am into romantic movies better known as chick flicks :D

      Delete
  5. AH I looked it up I now know what the name is of something I have heard so very often. Thanks Sounds like lots of people missed this event due to the storm. Hope you get to go next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO, living in Arizona I knew you would have probably heard it before though not necessarily by its proper name.

      We will see what next year brings, hopefully I will be able to be in attendance.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.