Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

We end the month with some much needed liquid gold

Woke up to thunder, lightning and strong winds, turned to look at the alarm clock and it was 6:15 a.m. The thunder and lightning were pretty intense so decided to turn off my electric strip which powers the computer, TV, and internet.

I was a little disappointed that I was not hearing the sounds of rain hitting the roof but after 20 minutes I was rewarded as it came down in heavy sheets.  Went to check for leaks in the kitchen and as I looked out the window noticed that two of my rain barrels (garbage cans) had been blown from their designated location because I forgot to weigh them down with gallon milk jugs.

I was not a happy camper as I was missing out on lots of gallons of the precious liquid but I could not go out in an electric storm to retrieve them.  After the lighting ceased I did go out and put them in place and I now have a full rain catchment system.

Of course, there is always a hitch, I had the kitchen door open as I was putting out more 5-gallon buckets when Paquito spotted it and ran inside followed by Otis and Katia who have never been in the house before.

Otis and Paquito were easy to round up but Katia for some reason is super afraid of me though I have no idea why.  Mom was asleep and she is not a fan of pets inside the house not to mention her allergies to pet dander.  Katia finally came out on her own but she took her sweet time doing so.

This evening KSAT12 reported we received 1.02 inches of much-needed rain. Now I do not have to get up early in the morning to water the trees in order to beat the heat...yeah!!!

Tomorrow we will be back in the three digit range so I took the opportunity to go grocery shopping in these cooler temperatures.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

14 comments:

  1. It's 65 on my porch this morning!!
    92 for the high is forecast.
    Not going to he in triple digits until next week.
    Glad you got some rain!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our hot Texas summers 65 degrees in the morning is pure luxury! I know your area has also been on the receiving end of good soaking rains.

      Delete
  2. It rained and cooled things off over here in my part of Texas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rain & no leaks in the house, it was a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We got an inch rain too and the lower temperature. It felt like Autumn this morning. My DH is out starting our Fall garden in raised beds today. It does better now as the bugs and heat are less. Glad you were able to capture those stray raindrops and put them to good use.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not know where you live but it must in a cooler location than Texas to be able to start your Fall garden. Glad you got some rain as well and good luck with your fall harvest!

      Delete
  5. I know you did a happy dance to get that rain. We just had once doozey come through here and it is still raining but slowed down, thunder moving away. Maybe you'll get more to night.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was elated with the rain JO, we really needed it as there is no more forecasted in the next ten days.

      I am not certain how far you are from the wildfires but hopefully the rains helped with that as well.

      Delete
    2. I am no where near the fires this year, it was a rough start in the Payson area but then the rains came and really helped out. Thanks for asking

      Delete
    3. Good to hear the rains helped.

      Delete
  6. I really like the rain but not the electrical storms so much. Glad to hear you got that much rain though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not like electrical storms either. Did not expect to see you in the blogsphere so soon after your surgery. Get well soon.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.