Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, March 2, 2023

Strong winds / Power Outage

I can not say we were not warned...we were...that is why I spent a lot of time yesterday afternoon batting down the hatchets. I made sure to secure items that might become projectiles with the strong winds and wind gusts that were expected today.

Last night some parts of San Antonio and surrounding areas were pounded with baseball size hail the worse being in Dilley, Texas. That poor town (literally and figuratively) took a beating. Car windows,  windshields, roofs, and house windows were shattered.

I was getting ready to go outside to feed the cats but I was not able to open the kitchen door due to the pressure on the door (the door opens toward the outside like in Florida). As my luck would have it at 4:30 p.m. the strong winds began. It was more of a terrible dust storm. Exactly one minute later at 4:31 p.m., the power went out. It is a good thing I made sure I had my solar lights charged as well as our phones and my tablet.

Ordinarily, not being able to watch TV would not be a big deal but I wanted to watch the 5:00 p.m. news. I thought with the Spectrum App that I downloaded today I would be able to do so either on my tablet or phone but to my surprise it told me that I had to access my "Home Wifi". That would be fine and dandy...but without electricity, I had NO Wifi!

It looked weird with no visible lights and all the houses in the dark. Finally, at 7:43 p.m., the power was restored. The winds had died down some by now but they started up just before the 10:00 p.m. news.

Once again there was hail in the San Antonio viewing area...


Even at 10:02 p.m., KSAT-12 was showing 500 households without power in the Del Rio sector.


I like to watch several networks and  KENS-5 was reporting wind gusts of 53 mph at 10:00 p.m.


Today we reached a high of 95 degrees but Eagle Pass had a high for the area of 102 degrees. I would later learn that Eagle Pass was the hottest spot in the nation.


Tomorrow we are going to remain with high winds and under a red flag warning.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




6 comments:

  1. We got hit pretty hard too. The wind was the worst so far, I was wondering if I was going to wake up in OZ!!. I went to look out around 12am as I could hear things crashing about outside and it was snowing!
    and sticking around the edges of things. When I went out in the morning with the dog around 6:30am it looked like a winter wonderland, The trees were covered and frozen and the mountains around my home were white. It's so strange that the trees and most of the gravel were free of snow. It sure was gorgeous! By 9:30am most of the snow was gone, trees uncovered of the icy fingers bringing them down and now lifted the branches up again.
    But that hail in parts of TX. was crazy, I'm happy you only lost power and didn't have any damages

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like you experienced some pretty wicked winds. The way you describe the snow, it definitively sounds like a winter wonderland.

      Fortunately for us, we did not experience any hail, but the areas that did were severely affected. It has been such a weird winter with extreme temperature changes.

      Delete
  2. Whoa. Glad you made it through that. My friend in SA reported no problems. Here, there were no unusual problems with the storm front, other than my cell phone screaming at me and doubling my heart rate for tornado warning. Next front we have, I'm turning that thing off. I never lost electricity, no hail, just rain. A usual spring thunderstorm, with a bit of wind. Turns out the tornados were "rotations" on radar. And not very near me anyway. That's why the cell phone will be turned off next time. So fortunate around here. At 77, I've seen a few spring storms around here. They can be nasty. This one wasn't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All our local channels come from San Antonio as we do not have a TV station in Del Rio, that is why I know more about their weather than ours. Depending on what part of town one lives in San Antonio, you either got hail or not, same goes for the rain.

      I had no idea that you could get tornado warnings on your cellphone though like you I would probably not sign up for it. It was bad enough one day when an Amber Alert scared the hell out of me on a rare occassion that I took a nap.

      I am glad there was no damage in your area.

      Delete
    2. I know people who have turned the amber alerts off. Maybe I should look how to turn the weather alerts off. Sheesh.
      I hate that noise!!! I keep aware of the weather, look at the radar and the local NWS info so I don't need that thing going berserk. We did have some wind damage both north and to the east of me, so...I guess if somebody doesn't have their head up, then it could have been a surprise. I'm going to listen to the local radio from now on. I do have an alarm clock which has radio on it.

      Delete
    3. I had no idea you could turn off the Amber alerts. I do not mean to sound cold but I do not leave the house very often and when I do, I pay attention to the road and not to cars or license plate numbers so I could not be of any help in finding an abducted child.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.