Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, May 20, 2012

Grazing Sunday

Mom woke me up to tell me to get my camera that the neighbor’s horse was in our property.  Reluctantly I got up and scrambled for the camera.  She had just looked out the kitchen window so she had no idea how long he had been here.


This is one of the horses of her neighbor that I have blogged about before.  He always has his poor horses in the sun with little water or whatever water there is, it is hot.  About two months ago he finally got rid of two of them and now he just has this one horse that is pretty big and whose rib cage you can easily see.


I often walk to the fence that divides our property and talk to him so he knows my voice, I do not know what his name is but I call him Walter.  I was so glad to see him grazing as it will minimize the lawn I have to mow as I have yet to hear from the person I called to come trim the trees and cut the grass (weeds).


When the owner’s son came to get him I told him that he could stay since I had plenty of grass for him to eat and it would also help me by not having to mow it.  He agreed and I spent the rest of the day watching him graze, giving him water and making sure he did not eat what he was not supposed to.


Can you believe I forgot about the solar eclipse?  Do not think we were able to view it here as there were some clouds and I never saw it get dark…maybe the next one?



Another great icon of my time has passed away.  Robin Gibb of the Bee Gees died after a long battle with cancer today at the age of 62.  Only three days after the legendary Donna Summer left us.  It is indeed a sad day for us fans of Disco and 70’s music.

This butterfly had beautiful colors that my cheap camera was not able to capture
what appears to be black was actually royal purple.
Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. MsB, I don't think where you are located you could see the eclipse. It happened about a half hour after sundown at your location. It covered about 92% of the sun at my location, so it didn't get real dark. I am 1500 miles further west and north from you.

    Best view in America was probably Death Valley, California. There will be a total eclipse in November which should be visible at your location.

    the rat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The news station (from San Antonio) said El Paso and west Texas would be able to see it but not San Antonio or Houston since the sun would have already set. Either way did not see it. Will have to wait until November.

      Delete
  2. OMG,,isn't there a humane society there? That poor horse made me have tears. TY for taking care of him even just for the day.
    And may i ask,,what does the butterfly have to do with anything?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No Humane Society, no county animal control basically we have nothing. I have been reporting him for at least three years to the sheriff department, county commissioner, county agent and anyone who will listen and nothing ever happens.

      I think the only reason he sold the other two horses is because he could no longer afford to feed them.

      The butterfly thing is something very personal, some may say a coincidence but it is something that has happened to me all my life. Maybe one day I will blog about it.

      Delete
  3. In the past I have called our sheriffs dept with good results. In fact, I now own a 'rescue horse' that the sheriffs dept took because the owner could not take care of them. 22 arabian horses dumped near Boerne, TX. I've been taking care of him since '95. Best horse I have ever owned.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are fortunate...however in Val Verde County, animal abuse is not a priority for the local sheriff's department.

      This horse is in the main street of this sub-division and the sheriff's constables, Border Patrol, ICE, County Commissioner Precint 4 as well as other agencies can see this horse and apparently turn a blind eye. Not to mention the residents that live in this sub-division.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.