Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Mechanic makes a House Call

As you will recall I flooded Dad's old car back in October 2012 but with taxes, getting ready for the Chili Cook-Off, Thanksgiving, Christmas as well as visits from relatives I had not been able to get to it.  Then in December mom's van quit running, I thought it was a dead or a loose battery but true to my procrastinating ways never got around to it either. :-(

I had gone to see the mechanic on two occasions but he too was busy with IRS audit problems but today he finally made an appearance.  Even with a new battery for dad's old car, he could not get it started.  Needs to take it in to his shop and believes the fuel pump might be the culprit.

What I thought would be a simple jump start for mother's van turned into something else. Somehow gasoline is getting into the oil and that has to be addressed.  Had to make a bee line to have the oil changed even though I had it changed about 500 miles back. The fuel  air filter smelled to gasoline as well and had to be replaced. The car is so old they do not carry them, so it had to be special ordered.

Made two trips into town.  It was a nice warm day even though a bit on the cloudy side or it would have been downright hot!



Gas just keeps on going up and up....


The good news is that there is a 50 percent chance of rain for this evening. Look how cloudy it was this afternoon.  I sure hope they materialize, we definitively need the rain.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. Yes gas as been going thur the roof again,but lucky for us and just in time for our SW Fla run diesel is has been dropping. Hope you have good luck with the two cars...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rain? What's that?
    Gas is going up here too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately Trouble, even with a 50% probability...we did not get a single drop!

      Delete
  3. MsB, Your fuel filter better smell like gasoline. Did you mean oil filter instead?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I meant the air filter. However the oil filter also smelled to gasoline.

      Delete
  4. Gas in the oil may be a blown head gasket? Usually it blows such that there is antifreeze in the oil, but I can't think where else the gas and oil come close together... Long way to say it could get expensive. I'm just trying to remember my auto mechanics stuff here. I learned by having old cars that I had to work on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Shadowmoss, I had not idea you knew how to work on cars. I wish I had a little mechanical knowledge.

      The mechanic said that all indications were that I flooded Mom's van as well :(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.