Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Does anybody have an emergency contigency plan in place?

With all the natural disasters that are currently taking place I ask myself does anyone have an emergency contingency plan in place for your particular corner of the world?

For example all these terribly wildfires in California and people making mad exodus with nothing but the clothes on their backs.  The volcano eruptions in Hawaii, the floods in the eastern part of the country, tornadoes and the three devastating hurricanes that hit us last year.

The common thread I see is that no one seemed to be prepared.  After my neighbor's house burnt down on the 4th of July, I wondered what if anything apart from getting my mother out would I grab?  I am still asking myself that question and I have no answers.

When I was a kid I enjoyed reading Nancy Drew mystery novels and she always kept a change of clothes in the trunk of her car.  I told my myself that as soon as I had my own vehicle I would do the same but I kept a three-day change of clothes with me.

My friends and co-workers thought I was crazy but I told them that if my house burnt down at least I would have a change of clothes with me.  Even though to be honest I was a party girl and I worked long hours. My friends would call me at work and ask me to meet them here and there but I lived in the north part of town, worked in the Galleria area and my friends lived in the southern part of the county where all the action was. No problem I had a handy change of clothes with me and did not have to make the long trek home.

When Y2K was on the horizon, I like most Americans learned about bug out bags and had mine handy. I also had a fully stocked camping van (Terlita).  If it wasn't because our company canceled all vacations for December 1999 to prepare for Y2K, I would have spent it in Terlingua. Yet here I went and spent it in Pasadena, Texas where all the refineries are located and one of the first places the missiles from the old Russian Federation would have exterminated us.

Ok, think I got off course...back to the present.  I keep a packed bug out bag right by my bed but it mainly consists of clothes.  When Ciudad Acuña had a bad tornado a couple of years back I considered getting a safe deposit box at my bank to keep all our important documents and perhaps some pictures but I never followed through.  Perhaps I need to re-think that.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

18 comments:

  1. Scan all your important docs to a flash drive, and keep it in your pocket/purse.IMHO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would you believe I bought a little scanner about four years ago and it is still in its box? Maybe I need to get cracking on that.

      Delete
  2. How many people do you know that have actually had to evacuate "right now"?
    Once we were packing the van because of a wildfire back in '73 but it was controlled before it made it over the hill (Sebastopol Calif).
    Where I worked in Washington state (2004-2012) I kept the change of clothes/boots in the van so I could walk home if the big earthquake happened..but it never did.
    When I was born my grandpa build a case to hang on the wall with 5 silver dollars in it so I'd never be broke. He was in San Fran for the earthquake in '06 and the ferry boats leaving the city would only take real money.
    I keep a small bag with my computer back up, some silver dollars and my passport easily accessible ...just in case.
    Scanned important papers, old family photos and the like might be a fine thing to have stashed away.

    The most important part of all this as I see it is that in my 65 years I have not had to flee, my dad never had to flee & my grandpa only had to get out once (as far as I know).
    Sensible precautions are a great idea (I keep spare food, coffee & toilet paper on hand) but I try not to get carried away.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know three people that had to be evacuated "right now" and unfortunately they were all related to house fires. Another friend who is in a flood zone did not take seriously tropical storm Allison (June 2001) and had walk in chest deep water to get out of her neighborhood.

      What an original and thoughtful present your grandfather gave you!

      Delete
  3. Don't forget medicines too (prescriptions)

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the reasons I stay close to Mom during wildfire season here is that our plan is she grabs her always packed bug out bag and drives to my motorhome and follows me out of town. I keep gas on the motorhome and she keeps at least a half tank in her car. If she didn't feel like driving we would just abandon the cars and head out. Wildfires are very much a threat here in northern Arizona and we were on standby last year which is when the plans were made. I also do not get folks who see a potential issue and don't plan.

    Scanning papers and photos is a great idea as well. Most of my stuff is digital already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your plan is more what I had in mind knowing that an area is prone to wildfires and setting forth a plan if one should get too close for comfort.

      Delete
  5. I haven't planned for a fire or earthquake specifically, but more for the possibility of the power grid shutting down temporarily or for along time. Living in a mobile home I really don't have the room to stockpile much, but I want to be able to eat and possibly help my kids if they need it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard to plan for a fire even harder to plan for an earthquake. My uncle and my cousin live in Mexico City and they know that the water will go out for days after even a minor earthquake and yet they do not have enough of the precious liquid on hand.

      Delete
  6. I had to run from wildfires in New Mexico and west Texas about five years ago. It was nice to just take the whole house with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is definitively a plus of a mobile lifestyle.

      Delete
  7. Up until recently my truck camper was set with clothing, toiletries and some food stuffs. But since I haven't be able to go camping I emptied it out including the bed. But reading this it makes me realize that I should put back the clothes and toiletries.

    A few years ago we had a micro burst come through and it knocked a pole down and the live wires where across out exit out of the park. I was still working and when they announced you have 10 min. to leave I grabbed my purse and took off, because I had to go to work the next day. Boy was that a mistake I was not dressed for working in an office in a large firm. Oh well at least I showed up. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My camping van's transmission went out a couple of years ago so it is no longer driveable but I still keep clothes and some camping supplies in it.

      I think it is commendable that you showed up at work even if not in proper office attire. I would hope that they understood why.

      Delete
    2. Yes, when I got the call it was all clear to get back on the property I offed to go home and change but they thought that was a bit to far and said no problem

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.