Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, September 23, 2019

September 2019 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México

I needed to run some errands in Ciudad Acuña so decided to go today rather than later on in the week. Was glad to see that the former toll booths were finally being demolished.


 In the Mexican side, they are building inspection lanes at their new Immigration headquarters.


After seeing the long lines going to the USA, I decided I would cross the border at the Amistad Dam Port of Entry on the way back. Once I finished my errands stopped at Bodegas Aurrera to tap into their WIFI and to pick up a bottle of Kahlua.


Here are the exchange rates for today so you can have an idea of the prices.


I have been eyeing this washing machine for years (I like pink) but they do not deliver and I do not have a pick-up truck. This is the first time I see what I thought was a smaller washing machine that would fit in my trunk only to learn it was a dryer.

$3,342.00 divided by 17.70 = $188.82 USD
$1,629.00 divided by 17.70 = $92.03 USD

Avocados have been high for a while but they had a good price on them.  Five avocados in a mesh bag $29.90 divided by 17.70= $1.69 divided by five = .34 cents each a real bargain but you are not allowed to bring them back to the USA so had to pass.



They had this HUGE display of Bud Light 6-packs for $80.00 Pesos that would be $4.52 USD


I do not drink coffee but a reader had asked me to take a picture of the coffee section for price comparison purposes. Unfortunately, I am using my cell phone and it does not take good pictures or perhaps it is the user that takes lousy ones :D


Once again the liquor section was not well stocked and there was not a single bottle of Kahlua to be had. That is a shame as you do not have to pay liquor tax when you cross at the Amistad Dam Port of Entry.



Bodegas Aurrera is located in the only Mall in Ciudad Acuña so stopped by a shoe store to price hiking boots. I liked the ones with the pink shoelaces but I did not buy them.  I would mess them up in a day in the rugged Terlingua terrain.

$359.00 divided by 17.70 = $20.28 USD
Considered driving to Soriana another grocery store that I am sure had Kahlua in stock but I was tired and it was so hot I decided to head home instead.


I am sure many of you are familiar with the former XERF radio station.  It was owned by the infamous Dr. John R. Brinkley but at that time its call letters were XER-AM and was once the most powerful radio station in the world.


It launched the career of Wolfman Jack whom many stayed up late at night to listen to, myself included.


It does not look like much and has been shut down for years. The gate has a sign saying "Federal Property".  Again I apologize for the poor quality as the sun was blinding me.


 Approaching Amistad Dam.



Lake levels are miserably low.


More land is being exposed daily.


Saved myself more than an hour's wait in line by making this trip.  Only two cars in front of me and I was back in the good old United States of America.  I had no idea the immigration officers had a uniform that included shorts. The lady agent was sporting one with this heat I do not blame her.


The following picture is exclusively for Jeelbare :)


We welcomed Fall with a high of 100  and a low of 77 degrees today.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


10 comments:

  1. What a coincidence. I saw this radio station covered in a Ken Burns documentary about the history of country music.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd be interest to know what he said about XERF might have to look it up.

      Delete
  2. Hmm in Mexico and no Kahlua, Like you said Sorianos surely would have had some.
    I too remember Wolfman Jack way back when.
    Nice you had a quick easy border crossing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many liquor stores went out of business when Americans quit going to Mexico a few years back. The tourists have returned but not so much some of those businesses. They were mainly located in the tourist district but were expensive.

      I don't really like liquor but I buy Tequila and Kahlua to share with my friends during the Chili Cook-off. However, I have always bought them at grocery stores where they are much cheaper.

      It was ironic that there was no Kahlua in Mexico in particular since Bodegas Aurrera is the largest grocery store in Ciudad Acuña!

      I was glad I was able to avoid the long lines at the main international bridge, well worth the drive.

      Delete
  3. Sorry about the Kahlua, I always loved the stuff haven't had it in years. They do have little washers like that through Walmart or Amazon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like Kahlua in my ice cream.

      Believe it or not even though I am NOT a coffee drinker I do enjoy it with Kahlua in particular after a very cold night camping in the desert.

      Will have to check out the little washers online thanks for the tip.

      Delete
    2. So, were you able previously to bring avocados across? I am interested, as 200 miles away (as the crow flies), I have not seen a avocado for sale in the local grocery stores even remotely ripe. I've just had to them give up. Maybe in the big cities in Texas there are some more usable.

      Delete
    3. No JudithK, we have never been able to bring them across.

      Though there is an exception...you can have them cut in half and have the seed removed at the store, their employees do this all the time for American customers...but who would want to do that? Unless you are going to eat them right away.

      I have to agree with you I bought some avocados at HEB more than a week ago and I still have one that is not ripe though in fairness I do keep them in the refrigerator.

      Delete
  4. I have only recently discovered your wonderful blog and have enjoyed reading a couple of years worth. Having spent most of my life in west and south Texas, I can only say I am glad to be in SW Montana now (for the past twenty years). I am a single woman, maybe only a few years older than you,and I live in a tiny but snug log cabin. I admire you taking care of your Mom. It has to be most difficult.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Penelope! Thank you for taking the time to read a few years worth of my posts...I am honored... especially because you came back after that :D

      With the high temperatures, we have been experiencing I wish I lived in Montana! How nice that you live in a tiny log cabin, you are living the dream.

      It is an honor and a privilege to be able to take care of my mother at this stage of her life just like she took care of me when I was a child and even beyond. It is something that any daughter would do.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.