Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, September 7, 2019

A Saturday shopping spree

I do not ordinarily drive into town on the weekends but I was not able to run my errands during the week. My first stop was the Recycling Center as they close at noon on Saturday's.  Then I swung by the P.O. Box only to find it crammed full...yeap...it has been a while since I dropped by here.

On the way into town, I passed by the main HEB and the parking lot was overflowing because our border city neighbors from Ciudad Acuña come to do their shopping.  Since I still can not bring myself to go into Walmart after the El Paso mass shooting I headed to little HEB instead.

Few people there as most Del Rioans prefer the bigger store. Was totally out of lettuce for my salads and found a 50% off deal since the product use-by date expires tomorrow but it was not wilted so I think it will last a couple more days.

Then I headed to Fallas a store that sells factory irregular items at heavily discounted prices.  This is where earlier in the year I bought my $5.00 denim coat and jacket for my future trips to Terlingua.  As I have mentioned before Terlingua is not a place to make a fashion statement. Take inexpensive clothing that you would not mind if they got ruined or someone walked off with them. My purchase of the day was a .50 cent T-shirt.

Made a stop at the bank and then headed to Dollar Tree where I usually do most of my grocery shopping.  As I parked I noticed a banner at the former Sutherland's store that closed down about a year ago.  As I got closer I could not believe my eyes!  Did it really say what I thought it said?  YES...it DID!!!!!


I was just thinking the other day about making a special trip to San Antonio so I could buy some heavy-duty tarps for both the house and for camping.  Stuck my head to ask how long it would be till they opened and the guys working said from six to eight weeks.  I was so happy!

The inside of the future Harbor Freight Tools

The Dollar Tree was full of Halloween merchandise...



They had a nice selection of cereals. Though I do not care for the taste of Maple at 19.8 oz this was a great buy and will also lower my cholesterol.

Cheerios Maple Cereal
On another aisle, I found Peach Cheerios that indicated it was a Limited Edition.  Being Gluten-Free and at 10.8 ounces another great buy for a dollar as well at the Blueberry Chex cereal the largest box of the three at 20.3 oz.
Peach Cheerios and Blueberry Chex cereal

Since I did not come on Friday I missed out on the bread selection. I did, however, purchase Nature's Own 8 Hot Dog Buns 100% Whole Wheat that I will use to prepare mini hoagies.

Very little bread left on the shelves
I was feeling a little light-headed as I had not had breakfast and it was 3:00 p.m. so stopped at Stripes which by this time has little selection but to my surprise still had food and bought us some lunch plates for an early dinner.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. Sounds like a productive day picking up a few good deals. This flavoured Cherrios sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite productive considering I had put it off for as long as I did.

      I tried small portions of all three for breakfast. Was concerned I would not like the Maple Cheerios but I did. I am considering going back next week and buying more.

      Delete
  2. Some places we travel it is better to fit in rather then stand out. If you take the time to shop around you can always find a bargain whether it is Food or Clothing.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rick and Kathy I am a bargain hunter at heart and I enjoy when I find truly good ones as it helps the budget.

      About the cooler temperatures...that is not the case here in Del Rio...we are still in the triple digits and will be for a while.

      Delete
  3. I eat regular Cheerios almost every day. I put plain yogurt, sugar, and cranberry juice on it. No milk. Yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dizzy, I remember you mentioning that on your blog a while back. As long as you enjoy it, that is all that matters.

      Delete
  4. I usually add fresh fruit (grapes, bananas, blueberries, raisins, etc.) to my plain original Cheerios, and then pour coffee into it rather than milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also add fruit to my cereal but I limit mine to bananas and raisins.

      You and Dizzy have a different take as far as alternate milk substitution products. Like they say different strokes for different folks.

      Delete
  5. Dollar Tree and Harbor Freight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are making progress Rob!

      If we could only be able to attract a Target, an Academy and a large chain grocery store I would sell my Houston house and call Del Rio home.

      Delete
  6. All the Fallas, stores are gone here and jus the other day wondered if DD's is the same store but a new name. They are opening one near to where I live and a Harbor Frieght took over the Fallas store. Always like going to Dollar Tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DD's are related to Ross and do have nice deals at affordable prices.

      My favorite of the dollar stores has always been the .99 Cent Only stores but everything is more than a dollar and the nearest one is in San Antonio.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.