Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, November 16, 2019

November 2019 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México

The arctic blast that engulfed a large part of the country finally lessened its grip on this part of West Texas. Mind you it was still cold this Friday, I wore a sweater, a jacket, and a coat.  However, I could not put it off much longer as I needed to get my lab work done so I can take them to the doctor.

I forced myself to go to bed early on Thursday but for some reason that is all too common...whenever I have to go somewhere important...I oversleep or do not want to get out of bed.  This morning I remembered that I had my sleeping bag and clothes in the trunk that I need to take to the laundromat whenever I pass by and see a few people...so of course those had to be removed before crossing the border.

To make a long story short I did not leave the house until 9:00 a.m.  I apologize for this blurred picture...I hope to purchase a pocket camera soon...I was so surprised to see that they have not finished demolishing the old toll booths.


As I got closer to the official USA/Mexico line of the International Bridge the line into Mexico slowed downed.


The concrete blocks and barb wire were there last time but not with the barbed wire mounted on them.


Most of the International Bridge is on American soil.  The line painted yellow and with a roof to keep the pedestrians dry is on the Mexican side of the bridge.



I made this short video as across from the picture up top US Customs was stopping some cars mostly cab drivers and while others with US plates totally ignored them...guess it is not important for the American drivers as they still have to show their US passports at the main station.


Finally, I was able to take a picture of the Bienvenidos a México banner.


The last time I was here they were building more booths and that project has been completed but today they only had one lane open.


By that time there were a lot of people at the lab I figured I would have a long wait but they told me they would be ready by noon.

It is difficult finding a parking space in that area because it is next to a private hospital and also a large medical practice.  So I left my car parked there and walked instead to run several of my errands.

I am still having problems with my cellphone ringing to let me know I have a message when I do not and when I do not even have cellphone coverage in Mexico.  So I just turned it off and left it in the car.

I wish I hadn't because there were many photo ops along the way.  I have mentioned my beloved uncle that lives in Mexico City many times.  He is what you would call "thrifty"  he sends letters and small packages to the home of a dear friend in Acuña to avoid international rates...not a criticism...love you Tío :)

I sat in the town square otherwise known as a Plaza and read his letter.  I do not know why so many people that I know and love are having medical issues,  so many have passed away this year.  I was headed back to my car when I passed the main church.  No one that knows me would describe me as "religious"...but for some unexpected reason, I felt compelled to go into that church.

I always stop and talk to my favorite Exchange Rate vendor.  I had noticed as I walked down Exchange Rate Alley that there were signs on many establishments saying they were out of dollars.  He told me that it always happens just before Thanksgiving, Black Friday and Christmas.

While they will sell you dollars in small quantities they cut it off at the $200.00 dollar level or at least he does.  Not a problem, I am not looking to buy dollars but to sell them but I will wait until the dollar ratio is $20.00 Mexican Pesos to one US dollar.

I had not planned on stopping at any grocery stores but got lost due to several detours as they were fixing water or sewer lines and I ended up by Gutierrez.  I needed serranos but ended up buying jalapeños, carrots, calabacitas, cilantro, canned beans, tetra cartons of milk, hot sauce, toilet paper, Clorox, deodorant, and lotion.

Gutierrez is a large store and just like Bodegas Aurrera the last time I was here...there was not a single bottle of Kahlua to be had!  This time I was even willing to pay the $3.75 US liquor tax as I did not feel like driving to the Amistad Dam International crossing.

The line was long and slow.  Stopped and took pictures which made others do the same!

Long line to reach US Customs

Me

Looking back to the end of the line
Here is a better picture of the toll booths that have not been demolished yet.


Just my luck I ended up in the slowest line as there were only three open.


Several cars were switching lanes because of it.  I just knew it had to be a female agent probably the one I went to high school with that hates me.  I was wrong it was an elderly male agent. He looked at my passport then at me several times asked me for another ID...I have never in my life been asked for additional identification. 

I said "You are kidding right?"  he did not reply so I gave him my Texas driver's license.  He kept on looking at it and the passport photo then at me.  He said they don't look like you...I told him "it's called AGING, I am NOT going to look like I did eight years ago"!

He gave me both back and said "have a nice day"...guess he figured he had riled me up enough and did not ask me what I had to declare.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. I nice report, I always enjoy your Mexico visits.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good that you got that done now you can rest easy but what a hassel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Another thing to tick off my To Do List. I never thought I would look forward to being eligible for Medicare so I can finally have health insurance and can get my labs done in the USA.

      In the meantime, I will have to continue to put up with long lines and cranky customs officers.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.