Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, January 28, 2023

Lab Results

I often mention the great telephone screening machine we have that stops spammers, house flippers, and other undesirables cold in their tracks when they try to contact us. Yes, we still have a landline phone and have no plans to get rid of it. 

While it is very useful since it does not ring unless people identify themselves, that benefit can also be a disadvantage. How so, you may ask? Exactly that...I have no idea who has called if they did not identify themselves unless I check the Caller ID...something I do not do often. I figure if they did not identify themselves in order to leave a message then they are not worth my precious time.

Case in point this past Friday, January 27th when I had several calls from my doctor's office. On Friday they close at noon and these calls were before and afterward. In my last post, I mentioned that I had blood work (labs) done on Wednesday and was worried since I once again had unintentionally lost weight. My mind started racing and I just knew my lab work must have been atrocious to hear from the doctor's office.

I called them only to get a recording that they were closed. Just in case I unplugged the answering machine (it came with FIVE cordless phones) and plugged in my old princess phone which if you are as old as I am...know that it has NO caller ID. I had to take my chances and answer it like in the old days when you had no idea who was on the other end.

Sure enough, it rang and it was my doctor's male nurse. I was bracing for the worst and hoping that I was NOT a DIABETIC in need of insulin injections as soon as possible. I have to admit that I have not exactly been following a "healthy diet" I can remember the last time I had a pizza...but not a salad...😇

He informed me that my labs showed my levels of Vitamin D were below normal and he was sending a prescription to my pharmacy to correct this. I felt like a weight had been lifted off my shoulders! I asked him about my A1C levels and to my surprise just like in my Sept 2022 labs it was 5.5% well within the normal range of 4.0 to 6.0%. 

It has been COLD in Del Rio, at least yesterday the sun was out. Today it has been cloudy and miserable. I am not complaining as I know that come March it will once again be hot and I will be wishing for cooler weather.

It is here that I would wish you a Good Night and Terlingua Dreams but it is barely noon. I have been awake since 1:50 a.m. Maybe I should worry more about my chronic insomnia than my A1C levels.


Aunty Acid



6 comments:

  1. Ha. Glad you had good lab work. Yup, the insomnia is serious. But some people are just night owls. I'm what they call a "lark" up with the sun and if I don't see it come up I feel not so hot all day. I hope you can sleep in during the morning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have always been a "night owl". It now appears that whether I like it or not, I'm also a "lark".

      With the cats, it is difficult to sleep in during the morning. If they feel I have over slept, they come to my window and make sure to wake me up and do not give up until they are fed.

      Delete
  2. Happy your labs came back good, Vitamin D levels are always an issue but then if I would keep up with the vitamins it might turn around for good.!
    The weather here is still cold with temps in the freezing for night and 60's for highs.
    I hadn't seen a blog from someone I had followed for years so I sent my e mail info and she answered, YEP BLOGGER CUT HER OFF TOO! She is pretty good at computers and she can't figure it out either, Wonder how many others have been blocked or lost there blog? And why wouldn't google see this problem and fix it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are the first person that has told me that they also have an issue with vitamin D. I have not gone to pick up the prescription yet but his nurse said whatever he prescribed is only taken once a week...so who knows?

      I do not know how far you are from Quartzsite but I have been following the people that go there for the winter and the RTR with Bob Wells and they all say how cold and cloudy it has been so they have not been able to charge their solar panels and stations.

      I wonder what is going on with Blogger? Even if they do not fix anything I think we need to report it to them just in case they are not aware of it. Or perhaps they think we are too old and about to kick the bucket since we do not post consistently?

      Not that I have anything of importance to share with my readers that would be of interest other than to myself but that is why I decided to start posting again...so I won't lose access to my blog.

      I think a lot of people have decided to switch over to uploading "vlogs" on YouTube. I do not have the skills, knowledge, or desire to go that route but I am seeing people in their 70s and 80's starting YouTube channels and doing a fine job of it.

      Delete
  3. Quartzsite is 230 mls and is a 2.5hr drive, seems to be the same weather we are having here. Plus with the openess out there the winds are horrible from what I also see on the few I follow. That's lots of dirt flying around. I think that is what has kept me from venturing out that way.

    The blog that I was refuring to posted often as they have been renovating a 120yr old farm house and they also travel so who knows. And we know google or blogger doesn't seem to care I have reported this problem a few times and have never had a response.

    As for starting a YouTube channel, like you I do not have the skills or patients to bother with all that. There is so much work to having a channel with editing and shorting the vlog. And I also really do not have much going on anymore to make it worth the bother.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few years back I lost the ability to be notified when someone left a comment on both of my blogs. Then I was no longer able to subscribe to follow-up comments on other blogs. Those are the only two occasions that I contacted Blogger only to be ignored.

      I think sooner or later Blogger will go away as they do not make any money off of us as YouTube does. With all the cuts in the intel sector (not sure if that is what it is called) and many blogs that have gone dormant but take up space in their servers it would not surprise me.

      I wish I was as close to Quartzsite as you are. I would have gone this year even with all the wind and dirt and pretended I was in a super-sized Terlingua Chili Cook-Off event. Maybe next year?

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.