Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Hot, cold, and warm again...

In my last post exactly a week ago I was saying that the weather had been on a roller coaster ride as we reached 95 degrees (Feb 15th). The next day Thursday, February 16th we had a 24-hour swing in temperature of 27 degrees.


The following days were cold and windy. So much so that several branches from the pecan tree that succumbed to the drought and the big Texas Freeze of 2021 came down.


This made the cats happy...


I had no choice but to move the branches out of the way since it was blocking the driveway. Even though I did not have plans to go anywhere you never know when an emergency can arise. My only regret was that not a single pesky mesquite branch fell...😢

Friday, Saturday, and Sunday were cold but on the positive side, it allowed me to sleep like a baby. I even closed the vent in my bedroom to keep it as cold as possible. Friday I slept for 9 hours...when you suffer from chronic insomnia...that is definitively a gift!

Yesterday, while some parts of the nation experienced freezing temperatures...Del Rio registered 92 degrees and that was not even a record-setter, that happened in 1996 when we reached 100 degrees. The weather lady noted that it was 2 degrees in Fargo, North Dakota making the difference between them and us 90 degrees!


Believe it or not, just like a week ago we once again registered 95 degrees per the 4:00 p.m. news.


The five o'clock news showed we tied with Laredo for today's high. 


I suppose while the rest of the nation is under winter storm warnings we have unofficially begun Spring?

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



4 comments:

  1. This winter weather has me wondering what we are going to suffer or not this summer! These winds are harsh and I was waiting for something to come crashing down or get ripped off the house.
    Also this is the kind of weather that can bring lots of sickness.
    Happy you had such good sleep for a change. Cold weather really is great for sleeping if for nothing else!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have been thinking about the summer months as well. The people I follow who are in Quartzsite right now have been complaining about the strong winds and cold weather...some have even left.

      Today (Thursday), we reached 91 degrees, and the wasps and flies have already made their presence felt.

      Delete
  2. Yes, it has been a real seesaw. Weather has become a wee bit less predictable and that's putting it mildly. . Meanwhile, everything I read says that sleeping in 60 degree temps is optimal for sleep. But then I think hey what about all those people living in the tropics with no AC??? On the other hand, I do sleep better in a cool room.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel sorry for the people in California who are not used to cold, rain, ice, snow storms or being without power for a couple of days. The people in the north of the nation and east coast are season veterans and know how to dress, drive, and survive the bone chilling temperatures.

      If I am running errands during a hot day in Del Rio...I usually stop at the county library and enjoy the cold A/C our tax dollars help pay. I even keep a light jacket in my car just for this. Several times I have nodded off as I read the newpapers. Too bad I can not afford to keep the A/C in the seventies at the house.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.