Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, April 28, 2023

April 2023 trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México

Monday, April 24th I made a trip to Ciudad Acuña, Coahuila - México across the border from Del Rio, Texas where we live. I almost postponed it because I dislike going to México on Mondays or Fridays. We were expecting inclement weather on Tuesday and Wednesday that thankfully did not materialize so I had no other choice.

After running errands I headed for Soriana a store whose American equivalent would be a Target. I like it because even though their prices are a little higher...it has fewer shoppers than say, Gutierrez, Bodegas Aurrera, or Merco. Those are the names of other popular grocery stores in Ciudad Acuña. 

Soriana is the nicest store in Ciudad Acuña.

It is clean, well stocked, and its aisles are bigger than other stores. I decided last time I shopped at the larger of the two Bodegas Aurrera (owned by Walmart) that it would be the last time. After the pandemic they cut down on their shopping carts and the few that are available are dirty and old...that also includes their rolling carts...way too gross 😠


I plan to purchase one of the straw ones
when they go on sale as they look sturdy


Remember when you shop in México you have to bring your own reusable bags as plastic bags were banned a couple of years back. Unbeknownst to me the store had a 50 percent off special on select items throughout the store as well as some other deals.

I still had Mexican currency from the last time I purchased pesos at $18.20 to one USD. and that is what I will use for my exchange rate today.

For example, if you bought five 12-packs of Bud Light you got a free Bud cap. If you purchased four 12-packs you got a small ice chest, and two 12-packs you got a free glass.

$120.00 pesos divided by $18.20
equals $6.60 USD


Cerveza Barrilitos...one six-pack $58.50 or $3.21 USD.



Their liquor section did not have a single price sticker...



I was surprised that they sold White Claw and other American seltzers individually...



I did not buy liquor I was more interested in tetra pak milk...my criteria is that it had to cost less than $1.25 a package as that is what it sells for at Dollar Tree.







I ended up buying this brand...two for $32.00 pesos...$1.76 or .88 cents each.


Mexican news media has been reporting that tourists were buying up medications along the border since there was a shortage in the States. Soriana however was well stocked. You bought one and your second item was 50% off.



I wanted decaffeinated coffee but the brand I wanted (Nescafé) was not in stock but their regular coffee was reasonably priced at $109.00 pesos/$5.99 USD.


Soriana has a store card where you earn points and can apply them to free items or a lower price.


I ended up going with this brand...$71.90 pesos...$3.95 USD...I bought two.


Herdez hot sauce is always cheaper in México and they have a large selection that is not available at our Del Rio HEB or Walmart. They range in price from $25.90, $27.90, and $38.50 pesos or $1.42, $1.53, and $2.12 USD.



I have often mentioned that bleach is cheaper here. This was on sale for $34.50 pesos / $1.90 USD



I bought some laundry detergent with a touch of fabric softener mainly because I liked the color of the bottle (lilac). I can later use it when I go camping to take extra water. At $139.90 / $7.69 USD



This store is huge and includes a camping department...however, these items are imported from the USA and thus cost more.


They sell clothing...Bart Simpson is very popular in México...


A bakery...



Electronics are expensive most people with visas buy these items at Walmart since they are cheaper in the USA. For example this Samsung 58" 4K at $12,990.00 pesos or $713.74 USD.


Their produce department is more expensive than at other stores but they have specials on Tuesday and Wednesday. Since it was Monday onions sold for $18.80 / $1.03 USD for a kilo...remember a kilo equals 2.2 pounds. I purchased two small onions.



Here is my shopping cart...



On the way to the International Bridge found myself in the middle of a campaign rally...I believe they are electing a Governor for the state of Coahuila among other political posts. I followed these cars and an elderly gentleman allowed us to cut in front of him at the other end or it could have been a long wait.


They have been working on adding two new lanes, one for 18-wheelers and another for Sentri vehicles. Those are vehicles that their owners apply for a special permit and if approved pay I think $100.00 to cross faster into the USA. I do not go that often to make it worth my while. I think that is mostly for people who work in Mexico at the Maquiladoras but live in Del Rio.



Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

4 comments:

  1. That was a full busy day of shopping. I wish more places here would stop allowing plastic bags. I have been using my own bags for a few years already. Once in a while forget them, but I do use them to clean up after the dog. One of the cashiers at The neighborhood Grocery told me they were thinking of stopping the use of plastic. We shall see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I only use my reusable bags in México. I use the plastic bags they give at the stores here a lot. I am not ready to give up on them even if they are now thinner than ever.

      When I place my groceries in my car then I use my reusable ones since the sackers try to jam so many items in them. That way I can separate my groceries accordingly and it makes it easier to carry them into the house.

      Delete
    2. Yes I always have to tell them not to make the bags heavy as I have more than enough bags with me. It's like telling them go ahead and make them VERY HEAVY! So I have to do split them up when I get back to my truck.

      Delete
    3. I am glad I am not the only one that this happens to. Though probably store management tells them to use as few plastic bags as possible.

      There is a cashier at Walmart that we have known for years and if I see her I will get in her lane even if she has more people than the others. It is worth it to me because she double bags and I appreciate it.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.