Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

The worst of Mother Nature...the best of Human Nature!

For those new to my blog, let me give you a little background on myself. I moved to Houston as a young adult in the late 70's after graduating from college.  I loved this town, it had everything I ever wanted and did not have in Del Rio.  No matter the day of the week there was always something to do, an event, a get-together, a party or a concert to attend...Yes, even on a Sunday, Monday or Tuesday.

One of the downsides to living on the coast is the threat of hurricanes, tropical storms, flooding and tornadoes. After 30 years of living here, I have been through many of them.  I am an only child, my father passed away many years ago and mother has always had health issues. That was the main reason we reluctantly moved from Austin, Texas to Del Rio in order to be close to affordable medical care... by that I mean close to Mexico.

Things changed back in 2013 when she had two back surgeries and could no longer live by herself. She refused to move to Houston so I moved back home to Del Rio though I still would go to Houston regularly to mow the lawn and make sure my house was ok. It was a no brainer, my mother took precedence over a house. That is why I currently live in Del Rio though my home is in Houston.

With that said, now you may understand why I have been following Harvey so closely.  Though I have to be discreet and keep my feelings to myself as I do not want my mother to feel guilty that I am here with her but worried about what is going on in Houston. By that, I don't just mean my house but I am also worried about my friends, neighbors, and acquaintances.

I have been watching the Weather Channel and CNN non-stop as sleeping does not come easily to me (I suffer from insomnia).  It is here that I have seen the worst of Mother Nature and the best of Human Nature. I am so proud of all the good Samaritans who decided to go out in the storm in their own boats and rescue people they did not even know. People carrying the elderly, the wheelchair bound, the most vulnerable of people.

I heard so many stories of people helping friends, neighbors and total strangers.  Just saw a young man about 15 or 16 years old taking water to people who had been dropped off at a staging area under the bridge at I-45 and Tidwell just because he thought they might need some water. It is so heartwarming to see such acts of kindness. These wonderful stories were repeated area wise and bear mentioning. It makes me so proud to be a Houstonian!

The worst if not over, we have received in three days the equivalent of a year's worth of rain and more rain is in the forecast. If you are so inclined, please pray for Houston...we really need it.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. I'm one of those new to your blog... is your Houston home out of the danger area?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rob, all of the Greater Houston area is in a danger zone. Many areas that never flooded in the past are now under water.

      It got bad during tropical storm Allison but this is an event never seen before. Back then the back of the subdivision was flooded but not the front or older section where my house is located.

      Delete
  2. My grandson and his wife pulled their boat with the ATV and helped out. I assume they are still doing that today. And no, they didn't take their son, by great grandson, with them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I am talking about Dizzy, people helping people. You must be very proud of your grandson and his wife, kudos to them!

      Delete
  3. I just can't believe the damage and water. I read a story today about a young man who waited to long to leave and then was stuck and found a shelter with mostly elderly people and no aid for the at all. He took control and when some younger people showed up he gave them some jobs to do to look after all the old folk. they did an outstanding job of handling the situation. At the end when help finally arrived all he could do was cry. Dizzy what a great thing for your grandson and his wife to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JO - there are many unsung heroes from this storm. It is in difficult times that you get to see the true character of people.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.