Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, August 31, 2017

Good riddance Harvey!

It has been a very trying week for the residents of the State of Texas.  I am so glad Harvey has finally left the Lone Star State, I sincerely hope they retire that hurricane name.

My nerves have been on edge and with my CRS, I misplaced my cell phone charger.  While I can look up the telephone numbers of my friends that still have a landline phone, that is not the case for those that have cell phones. If my friends are reading this please do not call or text my cell phone as I will never be able to get your messages. Call me at my mother's house or e-mail me.

Spoke to the only two neighbors I trust and was relieved to find out that my house did not flood. While that is good news for me, it makes me sad for all those that were not as fortunate and whose lives changed overnight.

The only friend from the City of South Houston that I have heard back from, actually I heard about it from a mutual acquaintance is that her home flooded once again. She recently lost her husband and now she has lost her home and vehicle and is understandably devastated.

Gasoline prices have skyrocketed, I drove into town yesterday and gasoline prices ranged from between $2.19 to $2.25, I am sure they are much higher today. Saw where people were panic buying all over the state and there were long lines at the gasoline stations.

Finally dropped off the DISH equipment at the UPS store.  They sent me two nasty emails last week saying if I did not return their equipment I would be charged X number of dollars. I was furious! Called them and told them I had yet to receive the boxes they were supposed to send me.  He looked it up and sure enough, they were still in transit.

In the instructions on what equipment to return, they actually wanted me to retrieve two things that I would have had to climb on the roof for. On a YouTube video read a comment from a gentleman who told them he was handicap and could not climb on the roof...after checking with their supervisor, he was informed he did not have to return it.  I do not believe in lying so I told the guy the truth...I have a fear of heights and suffer from vertigo, so he told me the same thing.

In the same instructions, it said that if I needed tape to seal the box this would be provided free of charge at UPS. Needless to say, I was pissed when I found this was not the case.  I had just taken mother to the doctor and I was not about to go shopping for packing tape in 95-degree weather. Those UPS price gougers charged me $7.95 plus tax for the same tape I could have bought for a dollar at Dollar Tree. I am so glad I dropped that worthless DISH!!!!  OK...end of rant!

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

8 comments:

  1. Your cell phone charger, you can pick up a plug in for the wall outlet (it's USB on the outside) & a cord for your phone for cheap at Walmart or even HEB. That will work. I have several cause they do seem to get lost.
    FWIW the phone charger cord USB end can plug into your computer USB port & the other end to you phone & charge it like that.

    On the bright side the storm came, went & you're ok as a plus the Dish era is over!
    Today is more than the 1st of September, it's the first day of the rest of your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am hoping it will turn up any minute now but will pick up a spare just in case.

    I am so thankful because I really dodged a bullet. I do not know what I would have done if I had to travel to Houston to clean out a flooded home or where I could find workers to do it, the demand is great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lots of rain here 30 miles north of Houston but water runs away from my home so am high and dry. It sure hit Houston and the surrounding area very hard, for sure. BTW, I like my dish, especially the old western shows.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and another person I know are the only ones that are actually satisfied with their Dish service.

      Delete
  4. Left over Harvey is moving into southern Tennessee right now! Most just nasty drizzle rain with a squall now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have you heard from your friends in Rockport? Did the campground where you usually stay get wiped out?

      Delete
  5. Although the TV stations, the mayor and the governor all say there is plenty of gas, social media has the city of SA (and elsewhere) panicked and sitting in long lines at the gas stations. Reminds me of the Jimmy Carter era. Glad you escaped the flooding! I did too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I don't do social media. What do you mean you escaped the flooding? Hope your brother and his family are OK.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.