Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Back to being a Del Rioan...

When I went to visit Barney on his last visit to Del Rio I was surprised to see how many new businesses have popped up on the way to the lake. I usually only come this way when he or my other friends come to town or when I am headed to Terlingua.

If you are a blog reader you know that I have missed the Chili Cook-off for two years in a row.  I have now gone back to being a Del Rioan...what do you mean by that Belinda?  People that live in  Houston think nothing of driving an hour or more to go to their place of work, visit friends, shopping or going to a Rockets game as most Houstonian's daily commute can be two hours or more.

I live in Southern Val Verde County, the lake and its campgrounds are in the Northwestern part of the county about a 20-minute drive,  In Houston, such a short drive is almost laughable. In Del Rio, it is considered a long drive, I guess that is why I have missed all this new flurry of business activity.

On Highway 90-West where there is a Y on the road, one leads to Sanderson and another to Sonora on Highway 277. There used to be a store and RV campground that closed a couple of years back and at least the RV park is now opened and appears to be at capacity.

Today I enjoyed the ride and took my time. My first stop was Diablo East Marina.


Even saw a Nature Trail that I am sure Barney has explored many times but with the recently elevated temperatures, I would be afraid to do as rattlesnakes are probably sunning themselves.


Steep slope at the start of the trail...


Back in the early days of my trips to the Cook-off when there was no cell phone service or readily available Internet (no Smartphones then) in Terlingua, I was often asked where the dump station for Amistad National Recreation Area was located.


I had to admit that I had no idea. I think I have asked Barney this question several times in the past but with my CRS I always forgot. They have installed new signs so I was finally able to locate it today.


You can fill up with potable water free of charge.


They have a nice fish cleaning station...


It was a beautiful sunny day in the '70s...was glad I took advantage of the weather...as a cold front is due here Tuesday evening.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

12 comments:

  1. What a nice area to explore, thanks for the pictures. Living in the country and commuting is much nicer than city living and all that traffic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Houston has grown so much it is difficult to find country living. Only Dizzy was fortunate enough to do so but he purchased his property a long time ago.

      Delete
  2. And I really like the drinking water at the dump station, water supply and fish cleaning location.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have often wondered if the water provided is from Del Rio or from the lake. Will have to ask a Game Warden next time I see one.

      Del Rio has some of the best tasting water in the State of Texas and comes from San Felipe Springs.

      Delete
  3. Wow, a "Del Rioan". Never thought of that but I can see it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is with deep regret that I can no longer call myself a Houstonian :-(

      Delete
  4. We now have a brisk north wind blowing over here on the East side of Texas, just above Houston.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well glad you had a nice day to go exploring. Sometimes even just a nice drive and getting away from the house makes us feel so much better.
    Yesterday I got gas for $1.99 Yaahoo. But we got his with a nasty cold spell here and the mountains are already getting snow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree taking a drive or just getting away for a while sure can make one feel better.

      See...your gasoline prices finally went down! Today the nasty cold weather finally reached us.

      Delete
  6. I'm getting to the point where I feel pretty comfortable in California, but I could live anywhere I think, and adapt to it fairly quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I could say the same Gypsy, perhaps due to my age and having had to live in Del Rio for eleven years has finally taken a toll on me.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.