Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, October 18, 2021

Broke Mill RV Park / New Murphy USA station

I had a follow-up doctor's appointment this morning and though it wasn't scheduled super early I could not go to sleep and just tossed and turned all night. I do not know why this always happens to me and at this stage of my life will keep on happening until the day I die.

Thankfully there weren't that many people there but you would never have known it as it took forever for the girls at the front desk to check me in even though I usually pre-register online. Then I had to wait even longer to be called in. Since it was around noon I figured my doctor had forgotten about me and gone to lunch but that was not the case...per her nurse, they had more people than usual for a Monday morning.

Even when we had a city newspaper I rarely purchased it as I only drive to town once a week to pick up our mail and to buy items we are low on at HEB.  I was reading the online edition of El Zócalo-Acuña this weekend and an article caught my eye.  There is or rather was an RV park that was very popular with out-of-town folk called Broke Mill RV Park that was recently sold. 

https://www.zocalo.com.mx/llegaran-1500-soldados-para-frenar-a-migrantes/

The new owners are Team Housing Solutions and they will be using the park to house up to 1500 Texas Army National Guard who are helping Border Patrol agents patrol along the border. They will be moving large recreational vehicles that can house between 12 to 16 individuals as most local hotels have been maxed out by the Department of Public Safety (DPS) officers.

Most of the businesses and fast food establishments are located in the north part of the city including my clinic so decided I would make a quick trip to Dollar Tree which sits next to Harbor Freight, and Ollie's. The parking lot was full but I have no idea which store had the most shoppers and I wasn't about to find out so drove to see if the Murphy USA gasoline station was finally open.

The former station was torn down and a new one built in its place but aside from a small store that you can now go inside to pay for your gasoline purchase and that carries beer and snacks the number of pumps looks the same to me. I still had 3/4 of a tank but decided to fill up anyway before the price goes up even more. I paid $2.869 for a gallon of unleaded.

Out of the blue, I decided to drive to the former Broke Mill RV Park. It has been months since I have been out that way.  It is a little difficult to see into the park because of the angle at which the property is located and the tall bushes that give it privacy but you could make out some large white RV's and an area they had cleared to park the personal vehicles of the Texas Army National Guard.

On my drive, I also noticed that the dealerships along the way had very little inventory both of new and used vehicles much like has been in the national news for months but since I am not in the market for one it does not affect me in the least.

The weather was excellent this weekend...the highs were only in the 80's but that is about to change later on this week...when we will once again be in the '90s.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



Funny Sayings




8 comments:

  1. I don't understan how you had to wait when you already made your appt on line. What is the use? Sounds like your little town is going to get very busy with all the Army National Guard coming in. I don't even know how much gas is around here, since I want to take a little trip hopefully next week I guess I better find out. Love the cartoons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went to the podiatrist two weeks ago and this was a follow-up visit to see how I was doing with the medication and the "plantar fasciitis exercises" they had me do. Her nurse was the one that scheduled the appointment for me.

      What I filled out online was the paperwork so I would not have to fill it out at the office and save time. The girls up front were taking too long to call up patients in my case I only had to pay since I do not have insurance.

      Our town has become a militarized zone everywhere you go you see DPS troopers that are also assigned to patrol the border as is the new arriving Texas Army National Guard. There are very few hotel rooms available in the city.

      I am glad to hear that you will soon be going camping it is the perfect weather for it. With all my medications I will probably never be able to enjoy another beer or glass of wine so the cartoons are bitter-sweet in my case.

      Delete
  2. I feel your frustration at having a long wait, even after making an appointment. Years ago, I stopped making any commitments on Mondays. It is never a good day to get anything accomplished without facing delays or people who are hung over, tired or grumpy from having to return to work after the weekend. It's been a good policy for me. After a certain age you can get away with just declaring you don't do Mondays. Especially if you are the person paying. :))
    It's alarming to see you are living with all the police and National Guard. That is a mixed bag of comfort and worry. I guess it is good for businesses there, though. I don't know what the answer is for migrants. It must be even worse for Mexico. Abbott isn't helping anything. It's almost as though they want Tx to secede?
    Your temps sound a little more bearable. The health concerns, not so much. I hope you can get a handle on it soon. Five years ago, I was on about a dozen medications and now I take nothing from the pharmacy. Two of the blood pressure medications I took have been recalled. My blood pressure is still a little high, but it hasn't killed me yet. I haven't had any alcohol since last Christmas when I was enamored of Bailey's, eggnog, with ice cream like a smoothly. Sooo good. Also fattening as hell. Can't wait for eggnog to come around so I can do it again. Life is short.
    How goes the show you like? I was hoping for an update. Take care my friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tend to agree with you about Monday appointments I also do not do Friday's including those for mechanical repairs. In that list, I also include morning appointments but sometimes you can not help it and have to take what is available.

      Del Rio only had one podiatrist for years and I am not fond of him so when my primary physician referred me to a new lady podiatrist I took him up on it. The only catch was that she was on maternity leave and I had to wait a couple of weeks for her to come back to work.

      The DPS and National Guard are the least of our worries now we have militia groups from north Texas as well as out of state who will be arriving soon. Even Fox News anchors have made a pilgrimage to Brackettville, Texas (Kinney County) to spew their venom.

      https://830times.com/news-north-texas-militia-vows-protection-for-kinney-county/

      "La Casa de Los Famosos" is like a human microcosm where you see the best and worse of people. It is getting really bad with all the backstabbing and betrayals. Alicia Machado (former Miss Universe) is a slime ball who goes into fits of rage and won't allow anyone to get a word in edgewise...she thinks she is the center of the universe and her housemates have told her so. Thank goodness they quit giving them alcohol in the last two parties.

      Take care, Ms. Penney.

      Delete
  3. Glad you have been having some decent weather....though I'm writing a week later, I hope it has continued. It does seem silly, but all the old retired people I know, certainly including me, dont' have a restful sleep if there's an appt in the morning. ESPECIALLY if it's medical. I liked the last cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like you mention a week has passed and the decent weather is no longer with us. It has been hot and humid. This afternoon it was 95 with a heat index of 100 degrees.

      Delete
  4. Argh. Not so nice this week here either. But tonight the front comes through with severe weather. Looks like it will be well north of you for today. Who knows what happens tomorrow. Got my Moderna booster half dose yesterday and have spent today with fever and feeling like the flu...but it's goingn away. Sheesh. I thought a half dose wouldn't do that. On the other hand, I have friends my age or younger and all they got was a sore arm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right now it is 2:25 p.m. on Wednesday 10-27-21 we are having strong winds with gusts to 43 mph. We have no chance of rain until next week.

      Glad you got your booster shot but sorry that you are not feeling well.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.