Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Friday, October 29, 2021

Early Voting / Property Tax Snafu / Walmart

Today was the last day for early voting before the November 2nd elections. In Val Verde County we did not have any political races only amendments to the constitution. Made my way to the County Courthouse to do my civic duty. This is the first election where we use the new electronic voting machines... was glad that it prints out a paper ballot with my selections and then is fed to a machine. Due to Covid-19 protocol, we had to exit through another door...the girl just said "be careful with the step"...she was not kidding it was almost a ten-inch drop...just an accident waiting to happen and me with my bum foot!

As regular readers know I have been having problems with my mail for almost two years. In Del Rio, if you pay your property taxes in October you get a small discount as you do if you pay in November or December. I called the County Tax Collector on Wednesday to let them know that like last year I had not received our tax statements only to be told that they would not be mailed out until next month. I asked her what about my October discount? The witch had the nerve to tell me...you will just have to settle for the November discount...I had to fight the urge to spit out some Alicia Machado venom and give her a piece of my mind...grrrrrrrr!!!!😠

The County Clerks' office is next door to where I voted so headed there determined to pay our property taxes and get our October discount and that is what I did. They printed our tax statements and I stepped to the side to let others make their payments as I wrote my checks. Most were senior citizens with the same complaint and the clerks explained that there had been a snafu.  I have made this observation before but never written about it...most of the seniors pay in cash...I think that is so dangerous but at least they got their taxes paid and out of the way for another year.

Headed to Walmart where I noticed that gasoline was selling for $2.839 for regular unleaded far cheaper than HEB and Stripes where it was going for $2.999 a gallon.  As is my modus operandi I always start my visits with a stop at the camping section which has been almost bare for weeks...oh well, I don't really need anything just enjoy checking out their merchandise.

Went to buy some cheap but cushiony tennis shoes for when I do yard work.  I also found some fat-free 0% milk for $2.56 a gallon...it is not easy to find. I showed self-control by treating myself to a slice of carrot cake when I really wanted the whole cake 😉

Headed to the fruit and vegetable aisle and they were out of serrano peppers so had to settle for jalapeños. They did not have any individual avocados either just a mesh bag with six that were hard as rocks so passed on them.  That reminds me that for the past three weeks Joe V's in Houston (owned by HEB) has had small avocados at 5/1.00...that store saved me a ton of money when I lived there. They always have some great buys...then they also throw in some non-advertised Managers Specials. 

https://publications.heb.com/flyers/joevssmartshop?type=2&postal_code=77521&store_code=645#!/flyers/joevssmartshop-weeklyad?flyer_run_id=662044


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



4 comments:

  1. Seems to always be a snafu with property taxes. Since I refuse to pay for checks now I paid online and they charged $8.95 service fee!
    Walmart's camping section has cut way back now for about 2 yrs. here and that is crazy since this town is loaded with campgrounds and RV Parks. They have a separate area for RV stuff but they don't have much to offer there either.
    When I went to for gas last week it was $3.09 the next day it was $3.19.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow JO, $8.95 is highway robbery! I pay my Harris County (Houston) taxes online. If I use e-checks it is free they only charge if I use a credit card and you know how "frugal" I am...though Billy Bob would call it "cheap"...jajajaja!

      I have not gone to check out their RV section in a long time since I gave up my chemical camping toilet and switched to horse pine pellets.

      It is a good thing you filled up before the price hike.

      Delete
  2. It's wise to find ways to save on anything you need today.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If anything I am a bargain hunter. As the saying goes "a penny saved is a penny earned".

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.