Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, February 12, 2022

Another cold front / Breakfast tacos / Little HEB

Even though we have had temperatures in the 70's as soon as the sun goes down it gets cold fast. If you have been reading me for a while you know I do not do well in cold temperatures. Last night (Friday) I went to bed at 8:45 p.m. so it is not a surprise that I was wide awake by 4:00 a.m. I was not about to get up at that ungodly hour so remained in bed.

I have been craving menudo and Stripes breakfast tacos so as soon as daylight broke I was out the door. Bought four different kinds of tacos and some chocolate Abuelita (a popular brand of Mexican hot chocolate). Being a truck stop I was surprised that there were few people there.

Swung by the post office to pick up our mail and since Little HEB is just down the road I headed in that direction. This is a very small store and its parking lot is even smaller. I was no longer living in Del Rio when they built the new larger HEB and the plan was to close this store down. My parents told me that the people organized, petitioned, and held demonstrations to prevent its closure and they were successful in their efforts to keep it open.


The front parking lot was empty and the side parking lot had three cars so I was not sure if the store was open or not but walked in anyway. I guess the early bird does get the worm as I practically had the store to myself.  All I wanted to buy was a gallon of milk, a loaf of bread, and some serrano peppers. I apologize because when I email me the pictures for some reason they shrink and I have no idea how to make them bigger so you can see the price. Anyway, serranos remain at $1.37 lb.


I was not planning on purchasing avocados...but you know how that goes! As usual, I bought the small ones at .88 cents each. Medium avocados were selling for $1.25 and jumbo ones for $2.50 each.


Bananas remained the same at $.48 cents a pound.


I had heard that potatoes were one item that had remained stable in price. I do not typically buy them unless I am headed to Terlingua where I cook them or my idea of cooking is wrapping them in foil paper and placing them in the campfire.

15 lbs bag $3.47


5 lb bag $2.26

I would later look at the Joe V's ad (HEB's discount store in Houston) and shed a tear when I saw their price for avocados and potatoes. 😢

HEB Whole Wheat bread sells for $2.00 a loaf but with their in-store coupon, you could save a dollar if you bought two and that is exactly what I did.


Bought a couple of cookies as this store does not have as big a selection as their main store.


I had missed their Oatmeal Raisins cookies...


While I do not buy meat as I do not cook, I noticed they had placed limits on some items...




I like their black beans with no salt, they went up a nickel to .78 cents so bought a couple of cans.


Canned sliced peaches were on sale for $1.68


I was not expecting to find Juanita's Hot and Spicy Menudo but did not hesitate to take the last four cans on the shelf at $3.68 each.


They jumped right into my cart 😁



Some HEB brands of cereal were on sale for $1.98 each bought only two as I really wanted the one with strawberries but they did not have them at this location.


Since it was early I do not think they had sold out of milk, it must be a supply chain issue. They did not have my Non-fat Milk, or 1% Milk so I had to purchase their 2% Milk for $2.86 a gallon.



They had plenty of name-brand paper towels...


They finally got around to selling 40 bottle packets of water previously I could only find that at Walmart but they never had anybody around to put it in the cart for me. I did not need any water at this time.



I saw these Unsalted Restaurant Style chips for $2.18 so purchase one to try it out...



I ended up spending $59.81 which I don't think is too bad as I also bought frozen broccoli florets, hot salsa, foil paper, and HEB brand 1000 sheet bath tissue.

On the way home I passed by the main HEB and as expected it was already getting packed. I took this picture while driving so it did not come out very well but gasoline prices are going down for now no telling what they will be tomorrow.

$2.989 for a gallon of unleaded


A block away at the corner Exxon, it was going for much more...$3.249 a gallon or 26 cents more.


I got home just in time as the strong winds from the north were ushering in yet another cold front. I am sick of winter. 😭

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




12 comments:

  1. I wish our food and fuel prices were as low as your prices.
    Have to agree with you and Aunty Acid about the Winter. Here is White and Frozen.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to see a post of how much groceries cost in Canada for comparison purposes...just a thought :-)

      Windsor, Ontario has been in the news lately and I was impressed with the architecture of your buildings, and how pretty the International Bridge between Canada and the USA is. As you know, I live in a border city with Mexico, and our bridge pales by comparison.

      I should not complain about our winter as I know others have it much worse. Bundle up!

      Delete
  2. Yes, I'm pretty tired of February too. Only saving grace so far is that there is a warm day of 70 before the next front arrives.
    I think your prices aren't much different from here. Latest thing I know there's a shortage of is saltine crackers. Really?? But a friend couldn't find any in any store in town. Who knew? Not me.
    Is Juanita's Menudo really good? I haven't had any in years. I liked it at the time, but I think tripe turns people off, if they think about it. Well. All animal products would, if you think about it much. Maybe I should look for juanita's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had not heard of a saltine cracker shortage either as I do not buy them very often.

      Juanita's Menudo from my point of view is the best-canned menudo of all the brands I have tried. I think most people who taste menudo for the first time would like it if they had no idea it contained tripe.

      Delete
    2. Here is the ad for Joe V's in Houston this week. Just look at their avocado prices...unbelievable!

      https://www.joevsmartshop.com/weekly-ad

      Delete
    3. Oh. My. 4 for a dollar. And if they are decent ones.....not all mushy/browning, etc....then. Well, I don't know what to think. I won't move back to Houston though. Had enough of it circa 1967-1973. Though it did have some good things about it.

      Delete
    4. I live close to the first Joe V's that opened in Houston, and they have always had incredible prices. My neighbor told me the avocados are of good quality.

      Now that the US has suspended the import of Mexican avocados after organized crime threatened an American agricultural agent the prices are going to skyrocket.

      Mexico has such a rich culture and wonderful people but organized crime, crooked politicians, and a mentally incapacitated president who has taken to criticizing reporters by name because they call him out on his and his family's shenanigans are going to make it so much harder on their citizens.

      Houston was very good to me, and it has excellent medical facilities, in my opinion, the best in the world. I would probably move back just for that as Del Rio has nothing of the kind, and I am getting too old to keep driving between here and San Antonio.

      Delete
  3. You sure did good with all you bought and how little you spent! Gas here is still high. We are having warm days but like you said once the sunsets the temps drop like a rock.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I decided to stop at HEB #1 better known as Little HEB in Del Rio, as I was not expecting it to have any good buys, especially with inflation and supply chain issues.

      I do not like three-digit temperatures but boy, am I ready for some warm weather.

      Delete
    2. It has been nice here in Austin during the day but, it sure does get cold at night, hard to get out of bed in the morning.

      The price on the things you bought at your HEB are about the same price at my HEB except for the menudo. Here in Austin it's 3.18 for Juanita's Hot and Spicy. I stocked up a while back but I'm running low and they are out at both stores that i shop at. I still have enough for some time but it's an item i try to have enough in case it freezes like last year and can't go to the store. With what i have now I'm still sitting in tall cotton.

      Stay safe, enjoy your menudo, and stay warm.

      Delete
    3. Even though it gets up to the mid-'70s in the day the winds have been strong making it seem much colder, and now another cold front is on the way. Glad I do not live in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, as they might get severe storms this weekend.

      I wonder why Juanita's Hot and Spicy sells for .50 cents cheaper at your store, but I gladly paid the extra money since I had not seen it on the shelves for a while and the brand they did have is not as tasty.

      It is always good to be prepared for an emergency.

      Delete
    4. It will probably be going up 50 cents soon, just like everything else. Could be that my HEB didn't get the memo (email) to raise the price.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.