Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, February 21, 2022

This crazy weather / HEB

Yesterday the weatherman said it would be sunny, warm, and windy. This morning it was cool and cloudy the only part they got right was the "windy". I got an e-mail from HEB Pharmacy reminding me that I had not picked up my prescription and I only had three days or it would be returned to stock. I had planned on going tomorrow since today is a federal holiday and the post office was closed but I decided it would be best to go today.

I was surprised there were so many people picking up their mail. For those that do not have a P.O. Box while the post office is closed the lobby stays open 24 hours. By now it was around 2:30 p.m. and the HEB parking lot was packed...when are they going to build another store or the city allow a competitor to come to town?

They have yet to fix the pharmacy drive-thru but I needed to go inside anyway. I inquired about the free N95 masks the government was giving out but the clerk told me they had run out and she did not know when the next shipment would arrive.

Other than a canister of Nestle Hot Chocolate, my pre-packaged salads, bananas, and serranos I did not have a plan to purchase anything else. That is why I have no idea how I ended up spending $105.71... money does not go as far as it use to šŸ˜’

Glad they lifted the ban on avocados from Mexico and that the price has not gone up. 


I did not buy these but Jumbo avocados were selling for $2.50 each.


Pre-packaged salad has not gone up in price, it is still selling for $3.08 each.




When I saw the saltines I could not help but think of JudithK.  No saltine cracker shortage in Del Rio...


I had not seen JalapeƱo Saltines before so I bought some to try them out...



Lucked out and found some Nestle hot chocolate...



Bought some Light Fruit Cocktail...



I was not able to find Strawberry Flakes cereal at Little HEB but they had plenty here...



Now that everything costs $1.25 at the Dollar Tree decided to buy hand sanitizer for only $1.00 here...



Bought a lot of canned goods, toilet paper, decaf coffee, two dark chocolate bars, chips, dip, and way too many cookies šŸ˜




Gasoline was selling for $3.069 for unleaded gas and $3.549 for diesel...


At the corner Exxon it is was considerably more...



It was very warm as I drove home that I had to turn on the air conditioner. I would later learn that the temperature reached 96 degrees. The winds were terrible I had to hold on tight to the steering wheel. More of the same is expected tomorrow before another arctic freeze descends on us Wednesday.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




10 comments:

  1. It's so good to have internet again, and yours is the first blog I've read this morning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all congratulations on moving into your new house. Glad you once again have an internet connection.

      Thank you for your readership.

      Delete
  2. Jalapeno saltines had never known they existed. Whenever i need saltines i always just grab the regular Nabisco saltines, without looking or the club crackers. I'm going to try the jalapeno saltines with my jalapeno smooth cream cheese. I remember back in the 80's when a company out of Brookshire, tx 40 miles west of Houston on I10 came out with Jalapeno Potato Chips, Those chips were really good, They were similar to the HEB kettle jalapeno chips but they were so muck better. I can't remember the name of them but i do remember reading the bag and they were from Brookshire.

    Get ready for the big cold front that's going to blow in tomorrow. Stay safe and stay warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It had been a while since I had bought saltine crackers, and I had never seen JalapeƱo ones. It has been even longer since I have bought cream cheese. I did not know they had a jalapeƱo flavored one sounds good will have to try it.

      Back in the 80's and 90's I hardly ever bought groceries my friends and I would eat at Happy Hour buffets therefore, I do not recall ever eating JalapeƱo potato chips from Brookshire.

      This winter has been so strange with so many temperature swings. Today we reached 93 degrees. Hopefully, it will be our last cold front of the season.

      Delete
  3. Ha! Saltines out the kazoo. Ah, who knows. Anyway, glad you are all stocked up before this next cold spell....not a surprise you dropped a hundred. I did $80 today without even trying hard on a curbside pickup.
    I will be waiting for a report on jalapeno saltines....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad I was able to score the last can of Nestle Chocolate perhaps because it was way in the back, I will certainly need it to keep me warm.

      A jalapeƱo saltine report is in the pipeline :-)

      Delete
  4. Well Monday had to go shopping since I will be without my truck for maybe a week as my grandson's car broke down and he had no other means to go to work and pick up kids, anyway I spent a $1. less than you. This is insane how the a lot of prices have skyrocketed over that last week. The coffee I drink went up $3. but veggies are still around the same price I paid .58 for avocados so that was a deal, I always wash all my veggies especially avocados and I use dish soap since the last time they found them to be contaminated and people where getting sick.

    WE are expecting the same weather today as you and maybe even a bit of snow right here in Tucson. But not looking forward to those winds YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, inflation is not just affecting the USA but it's worldwide. My uncle in Mexico City and my friends in Argentina are having the same issues.

      You paid a very reasonable price for your avocados. I had not heard of any contamination issues what was reported on CNN, MSNBC, and other media I watch was that the USDA had placed a ban on avocados from Mexico not because of the product but due to an American USDA agent and his family being threatened by organized crime. They have since lifted said ban.

      I saw on the news that Arizona was having winter precipitation and treacherous roads. You are a good grandmother I am sure your grandson appreciates being able to use your truck. At least you will be able to stay home. Stay warm and safe.

      Delete
  5. The ban on the avocados was quite awhile ago but ever since I have cleaned all skin veggies and fruits with a bit of soap and water, while camping I use vinegar and water in a spray bottle.

    Our winds today were insane and it is freezing cold and raining they say there is lots of snow on Mt. Lemmon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't purchase many fruits or vegetables other than avocados, bananas, serranos, and pre-packaged salads. On Bob Wells's YouTube channel many vandwellers mention they clean their veggies, fruits, and dishes using vinegar and water.

      It is freezing here but at least the winds are not as bad as when I drove to HEB...however, we are expecting rains and strong winds overnight.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.