Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, April 20, 2022

Finally rain!

After the record-setting 104-degree day on Easter Sunday, I was surprised by the 360-degree change our temperature took on Tuesday. During the evening I leave the small bathroom window open as no adult not even Twiggy could sneak in through it, it got so cold I had to get up to close it.

The news at noon announced a very strong thunderstorm entering Val Verde County from the northwest which is mostly ranch land and not very populated. The weather guy said it did not look like it would drop far enough south to make it to Del Rio.


As I have mentioned many times we live on the southern tip of Val Verde County. We are closer to Ciudad Acuña, México than to HEB or Walmart. I was therefore very surprised when around 1:12 p.m. we got hit with a severe thunderstorm accompanied by strong wind gusts. Why do I bother to listen to the weather forecasters?


The 4:00 p.m. news showed we were at 67 degrees and it felt wonderful! I do not know exactly how much rain fell as different parts of the county received varying amounts and I fell asleep before the ten o'clock news for the official total.

Only my steel tubs got rainwater the reason you see former Clorox bottles floating is that I had them holding down the tubs to keep them from blowing away due to the winds before the rains came. It would not have been a good rain catchment anyway since the roof was covered with dust from the winds and the water was chocolate colored.

Since we are in a drought I have been filling my rain catchment containers with city water in case the Russians hack our utilities. Though I am more afraid of them turning off our grid I am not about to go buy a generator or have gasoline around to power it. I will have to pretend I am in Terlingua and set up my tent and my shade structure to mitigate the heat should that happen.



Even the cats were taken by surprise. This cutie pie is Grayson.


This is Muñeca my beautiful little girl and my favorite...shhhh do not tell the other cats 😉


Today it was hot, humid, and muggy. I swept up the storm debris and being trash day I decided to also give the garbage can a good wash with Fabuloso.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




8 comments:

  1. Glad to read you had a little relief from the hot dry weather.
    Be Safe and Enjoy!

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. AZ. sure could use that kind of rain. I know it is much needed in your area also.
    Love Auntie Acid so me LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The wildfires in Arizona have been in the news a lot lately...are you getting any of the smoke where you live? Hopefully your area will soon received some precipitation and be able to bring them under control.

      I had not thought about it but I do believe today's Aunty Acid and you have a lot in common.

      Delete
    2. Haven't had any smoke here which is a surprise since there was fire 20 miles from where I love and it sure was windy, must have blown the other way. They did get it out pretty fast but it was right off the HWY so traffic was horrible so the said on the news.

      Delete
    3. I am glad they were able to put it out fast and that the wind worked in your favor by blowing it in the opposite direction. They have had some tear jerking stories of people that lost their homes and if that was not bad enough had to flee with little to nothing.

      Delete
  3. Oh oh. Rain. Enough to fill a bucket and more. So glad you finally got some. Waiting around here - forecast is promising, but we'll see.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was wonderful to finally get some much needed liquid gold. The forecasters say more rain should arrive next week but I'm skeptical.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.