Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Monday, April 18, 2022

Setting all kinds of records in Del Rio

On Easter Sunday I was going to drive by the local parks along San Felipe Creek where after two years of Covid lockdown the citizenry was once again allowed to camp out for the weekend. Unfortunately, when I went to open the gate it was way too hot and I quickly changed my mind. Telemundo's 5:00 p.m. news said we were at 102 degrees. No wonder it was so hot!



The evening news reported large size hail in the Hill Country that ranged from large to tennis ball to tea-cup size...posting pictures sent by their viewers. JudithK, I hope you're Ok.





What would be my surprise this morning but to learn that the actual temperature in Del Rio had reached 104 degrees setting a record high for this area. Not only did we have the highest temperature in the state but also in the United States.




If that was not bad enough we also set an all-time record for the driest start in over 115 years of record keeping.



Today it was in the '90s as I set out to run errands. I will make a post tomorrow as I am having issues editing and uploading those pictures to my computer this evening.

HEB and Walmart had the cheapest price for regular unleaded gasoline at $3.529 and Diesel for $4.529.



Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



8 comments:

  1. Now I understand your comment. Mother Nature is definitely not treating everyone equally.
    Stay Safe and Enjoy the cooler temperatures.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol, you probably thought I had lost my mind after the comment I left on your blog...jajaja...see there was a simple explanation :-)

      Delete
  2. Thank you, I am fine. All the bad weather stayed a ways off. So, no rain or storms in my neighborhood. Nada. Today there were a few sweeter showers around, but none here. And it has been gloriously cool today. Tomorrow though, looks like some of that hot air down there will blow its way up - high of 95. Early summer.
    Sounds like Del Rio is now in competition with Presidio for hot temps in TX. Argh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear the hail did not reach your area. Yesterday was indeed a wonderful day with nice showers and cool temperatures. I fell asleep before the evening news therefore I do not know how much rain we officially received. Perhaps they will cover that on the 9:00 a.m. news later on this morning.

      It has been a long time since I have heard the border town of Presidio be mentioned. In the news coverage from San Antonio where we get our local news Laredo is usually the hot spot for this area.

      Delete
  3. WOW!! Your weather is insane! We were at 94 for the high and I can handle that but the wind is another story, yep wind is back up again and fire warnings are popping up. I saw a sign about gas but it kept changing and since I was driving I couldn't pay to much attention but it looked like it was under $4. Then something about more than that who knows very distracting sign for sure. Try and stay cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Insane is the correct word for our weather! Yesterday (Tuesday) it was the complete opposite, but I am not complaining at least the A/C got a rest and hopefully my pocketbook.

      I do not understand about the winds the only ones that seem to bring it up are you and I, as well as the vandwellers and camping channels I follow on YouTube. Officially, the Santa Ana winds in California are the only ones that get mentioned but at least in the south we are all grappling with them.

      It's hard to drive and pay attention to the gasoline price signs. I took pictures of other gasoline stations but they did not turn out well. All of them even the highest ones were under $4.00 a gallon for regular unleaded.

      Delete
    2. Only today at lunch with some other old ladies we all remarked on the wind this year, and its being the worst we can remember.
      So you two are not alone.

      Delete
    3. Thank goodness other people are noticing it as well. Though the winds started becoming more frequent six or seven years ago. I say this because in the past we use to burn our tree limbs and yard debris but it seemed that the winds started to be a constant no matter the season so we had to stop doing that and hire Pollito to transport them to the city dump.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.