Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Thursday, August 25, 2022

Merchandise not moving at Walmart / Growing cases of Covid

I needed to go pick up our mail and then head off to the other post office to mail a payment as I have mentioned before our post office tends to lose a lot of correspondence. The second post office is located in the north part of town where restaurants, fast food establishments, the mall, and the majority of commerce are located. Walmart is not very far so took the opportunity and headed that way.

I watch the Deal Guy on YouTube as he makes a lot of videos about big box store specials. Unfortunately, the items he had as "good buys" this month were not at my Walmart. He had 5-gallon buckets for $2.00 but ours were selling for $4.98.


The financial channels I watch mention how there is a lot of merchandise that is not selling at big stores. They had items that I considered buying a couple of months ago and to my surprise were still available such as...




I am happy to say that I did not buy any of the above. Instead, I headed to the Fruit and Vegetable section to purchase some salads.


I found a lower price on avocados...


I was looking in another section when I came upon a GREAT price on 6 avocados in a mesh bag...$2.98 a bag which translates to .50 cents each!


Walmart had the lowest gasoline price in the city...


Our Covid numbers continue to rise, you would think that the webpage that masquerades as our local newspaper would make mention of it. However, like our former official newspaper The Del Rio News-Herald they have turned political or report nonsense...like four sisters who set up a lemonade stand this weekend in their front yard. I ask...which is more important to the citizenry not just of Del Rio but of any community?

Thank goodness for the excellent reporting in the Mexican newspaper El Zócalohttps://www.zocalo.com.mx/confirman-453-nuevos-contagios-de-covid-19/

We have 453 new confirmed Covid cases bringing to 830 the currently active cases in the city. Most of these are comprised of minors. 

I am happy to report that we do not have any MonkeyPox cases "yet". San Antonio does have some so it is just a matter of time. In my last post, I remarked that I was afraid to catch that virus since I wanted to go to the library to use their computers but could not find my disposable gloves. I did not want to take a chance of getting contaminated by touching their computer keyboard for an extended time.

We are still without air conditioning but thanks to the rains it has been tolerable.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



8 comments:

  1. Ah geez. Still without the AC. You are a brave soul. At least it HAS been better since the rains came. They're over here now, for a while, but at least we probably got an inch and the high temperatures have moderated. Well, it's almost September. Ha. I just looked up the price of avocados at the local Walmart. 68 cents. That's a nice number. I'm dumb enough to think that since you live nearer the source, you could get them cheaper. But the ways of the world escape me. Take care of yourself.....glad it's not July when you're on the AC trauma thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am grateful for the rains, I came in a while ago after having to sweep the water that ponds in the back of the kitchen, and my arms feel like they are about to fall off.

      I saw on the news a couple of weeks ago that the USDA had granted permission to another state in Mexico to export their avocados. I even took a screenshot of the TV but as usual, I can not find it. They remarked that this would help to bring down the price of this very popular product.

      I never realized how heat could have such an effect on your mood, productivity, and overall well-being. I suppose as Americans we take a lot of things for granted until we have to do without them...A/C being one of them.

      Delete
  2. I bought gas today when I saw that it dropped another .20 since Friday so we are at $3.69 now still high but much better than the $4.98 if a couple months ago.
    I guess if it gets really hot again maybe a small window unit might give you and your mom some relief for the living room at least. But I am just waiting for Fall myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that gasoline prices will soon be going up as they can not continue to keep using the national strategic reserves.

      The living room has a large picture window with two very small built-in windows on the side like the ones from the 1970s when this house was built. Unfortunately, it would not fit a window unit but we definitively need some kind of a backup.

      Delete
  3. Sure hope you can figure out something, they do have portable units that can stand in the room, but they do need a someway to vent out. Sorry to your dilemma with cooling. Oh I bought my daughter that cool thing can't remember what's it called right but you add ice cold water to it and it blows cold air. $39.99 Yes it needs to be pretty close to you but it really works.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ollie's bought several well-known a/c manufacturer's inventory and some were the portable units with wheels so you could move them around your house but the box was very heavy and yes it would need to be vented through a window or opening.

      I know what little units you are talking about the size of a small square box. Ollie's had them about two months ago. They even had an open box model to show you what it looked like. I came home to read some reviews and they were mixed. The last time I was there they had all sold out.

      Delete
  4. Hello Miss Belinda. sorry to hear your ac is broke. My 23 year old AC unit can barely keep up the last couple of months of record breaking heat. We'll be freezing before ya know it. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RedEyeMule, so good to read you!

      I think most of the states in the south have had their A/C's working overtime. I have heard that this is going to be a cold winter...let's hope it is nothing like Feb 2021.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.