Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, August 24, 2022

Broken A/C / Rains

Just an update since I mentioned it on my other blog last week though I realize not as many people read it as they do this one. The A/C started acting up early Friday morning, I am disappointed because I had them out last month and they found nothing wrong with it though I explained to the repairman and the owner's wife what it had been doing and it seemed serious to me.

I realize they have a lot of clients and had a long list to still service. Still, I think this was preventable, especially on a unit that is only five years old and is top of the line not like the piece of trash another A/C company sold us that only lasted three years. They forgot to register the unit so the affected part was not covered and would have cost me a fortune to fix that is why I went with this company that has a good rating with the BBB.

I think I pissed off the owner's wife because I called at seven o'clock in the morning. How was I supposed to know that she forwarded the company's number to her cellphone after hours? She would not have been happy if she had only known that I had planned to call them at 4:00 a.m. I wanted to beat the other clients since last month I was number 53 or so on the list.

I was told they might not be able to get to me on Friday and I would have to be serviced on Saturday.  However, they made it that afternoon only to give me the bad news that it was the blower motor and they would have to place an order for it. The core (?) would also have to be washed.


It was a hellish weekend even with the ceiling fans going...I do not care for ceiling fans...I know too many people that have been hurt by them including one that started a house fire. The lady was my mother's Del Rio hairdresser who had this wobbly ceiling fan that was constantly on in the converted garage that she turned into a hair salon. The fan fell and burst into flames and she lost her business and home and has never been able to recuperate.

Just a reminder...per Google you can safely run a ceiling fan for eight hours...not for hours or days on end like many people I know.

I called the owner's wife Monday afternoon and she said her husband was stuck in Dallas unable to get a flight back to Del Rio but she had sent him the pictures her A/C technician took and she was sure he had ordered it but did not know when it would arrive or when they would be able to install it.

We finally got heavy downpours which helped in bringing down the temperatures even though it upped the humidity...isn't it always something?  I found a new use for an old carrot cake container...if you guessed a place to put mesquite pods in...your win!!!


I took the above picture before the rains.  It looked like a creek afterward.

The precipitation was so needed in this area. Though I feel for those in the north part of Texas who were flooded out and lost everything.


I am grateful for the temporary relief in temperatures.


I just hope this computer holds up as I know warm temperatures are not good for them. I considered going to the "unofficial cooling center" better known as Val Verde County Library but our Covid-19 numbers keep on growing and I have no idea where I have my disposable gloves...with my luck, I would catch Monkeypox. 😥

You guys know I am a cat person and of all the feline videos on YouTube, this is my favorite. Her name is Penny and she looks a lot like Nicolás. It is a Short it will only take 36 seconds and it relates to today's post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0pqg9CmgM4


It's morning so I can't wish you a good night and Terlingua Dreams...so have a great day!


Aunty Acid



6 comments:

  1. Ah geez. My blower motor went out last August. Seems like central HVAC parts fail only in the worst weather, when it's too hot for comfort or too cold for comfort. I toughed it out for two nights. But went elsewhere for the third. And though it took a while to get the part, the company I deal with were aces!! Trying old used parts, etc. Anyway, I was lucky enough to still be under warranty. I am sorry your company is so overwhelmed. Del Rio seems to be a place where an AC guy could make a good living, as long as the grid holds up!!! (You're not likely to catch monkeypox. I think you have to get really really close to people for that. But I could be wrong. Covid is another thing though. ) Oh I hope it gets fixed soon. We are all so dependent on these things. And I'm so old I can remember when we didn't have a lot of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am on night six of this nightmare and you are right the HVAC systems seem to fail at the worst possible time. Though she made no mention of it, I have a feeling the part may not be as easy to get per what I have been seeing on TV. Lucky for us the blower motor is still under warranty but per Google, I still have to pay for the installation which is not cheap but at this point, I do not care.

      I follow a lot of Prepper Channels and that is one thing I have not seen addressed...what happens if your A/C goes out in the summer months or worse yet the grid fails...what then Patera...how do I keep my food stash safe?

      With my bad back, I certainly can not log all my cans and goods to a hotel room just to keep them cold. I would end up in the ER with a thrown back.

      I wanted to use the computers at the library but not without my disposable gloves since I would be pressing the keyboards which I consider close contact...though I have no idea if we even have Monkeypok cases in Del Rio though many out of town vandwellers and RVers stop by the library to use the computers so you never know.

      Delete
  2. I think now a days there is no such thing as customer service. If she was annoyed about the call then shut off your phone lady, its a business! I can't believe your units have lasted such a limited time. My unit is over 20yrs this past year I replaced the coil when they put in my new furnace. I sure hope you get your unit fixed quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a small family-owned business that is run by her husband and her. He takes care of the business side and she takes care of the office side.

      The first unit lasted my parents 30 years but back in those days things were well made...not so much now :-(

      I certainly hope the part arrives soon and that it can be installed as soon as possible. The weather has been on our side this week as it has rained and brought the temperatures down to a tolerable level.

      Delete
    2. They sure don't make things like the old units or any other appliance.

      Delete
    3. You are so right JO, back then things were made to last.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.