Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

Purple Sage / Governors Landing / New Battery

While I keep all records that have to do with the upkeep of our cars it is another matter to be able to find them in the many boxes that I have. I try to document important items like when I purchase tires and batteries, when I take the cars in for service, etc., etc. I am somewhat forgetful at adding labels to my posts to make them easier to locate on my blog.

Something kept on nagging at me but with my CRS it is hard to remember things. I believe the last time I replaced my tires a short time later I bought a new battery for Midnight. Sunday, August 28th I drove to town early to go pick up our mail. The car was sluggish to start and I panicked since being Sunday and early in the morning auto parts stores were closed.

The only thing that came to mind was what my late mechanic told me...Belinda, anytime the car starts acting up take a drive to the lake and floor it...and that is exactly what I did. 


That is when I noticed that the recent rains had made the purple sage bloom all over the city both at businesses and homes alike.


I, therefore, expected to see this beautiful shrub in full bloom on the way to Lake Amistad but sadly that was not the case. I drove to my favorite campground that being Governors Landing but there was only one campsite in use by a young couple car camping. The sites here have been cleared to make them larger and they also set up tent sites about two years ago while only increasing the fees by two dollars to $10.00 per night.



The effects of the drought were evident and it is so sad to see the low lake levels. There is some good news though the boat ramp they closed two weeks ago is once again open to the public though there were few boats at the unloading parking lot (not sure that is the correct term).



I parked the car in the front driveway rather than the garage Sunday night but barely slept since I had a doctor's appointment Monday morning and was afraid the car would not start. Lucky for me it started and as soon as I got out of the doctor's office I made a beeline to Auto Zone where they tested it and sure enough it needed to be replaced.

While I have no idea what I paid for the last one, I was surprised that it now costs $199.99 before tax. Much like the tires, it is the peace of mind that I am purchasing. Let's hope this is the last I have to spend on Midnight for a while.

I was correct the Del Rio area received 3 inches in 3.5 hours yesterday morning. The creek that separates us from the county road overflooded and the road was closed for several hours. School did not start until ten o'clock and it goes without saying I found out about this thanks to El Zócalohttps://www.zocalo.com.mx/caen-3-pulgadas-de-lluvia-en-tres-horas-y-media/

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid




2 comments:

  1. I keep my truck recipes in the glove box so if something goes bad I can quickly find the paper work. I have had that same problem no matter how well I organize my paper work or at least I think I do. I recently bought a jump starter for my truck. I think I will do what you did and go to AutoZone to get my battery checked as I'm pretty sure that is the same battery that was in the truck when I bought it as I do not have any paperwork for a new battery.
    Love the purple sage I don't have one but my neighbors do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I used to keep my receipts in the glove compartment due to our triple-digit temperatures, I found that the print tended to fade. I had a jump starter for my other car that came in handy as it also inflated tires, air mattresses, and could also power small appliances. However, when I tried to charge it up after not having used it for eight years...it was dead :-(

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.