Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, October 9, 2022

Grocery haul at HEB / Higher gasoline prices

Click on the Photo to enlarge

My last two grocery hauls have been to Walmart and after walking the store I have been too tired to stop at HEB since I love their store brands and frankly they have lower prices. I remedied that situation and headed to the store believe it or not on a Friday afternoon...yes, I am crazy!

I am so sick and tired of this cellphone the only reason I got it was because I was told it took good pictures, had a lot of storage, and was affordable...they got the last two right but "good quality pictures" is debatable.  I took many photos but sadly had to delete a lot of them.

The one item that has never had a change in price since the start of the pandemic has been my serranos...still $1.37 lb...


The last two times I have bought avocados have been at Walmart in mesh bag bundles. Was happy to see that here as well. I bought a bag of six small avocados for $3.28 or .55 cents each.


I would have loved to have bought some potatoes but the 5 lb bag was too expensive when for an additional .80 cents I could have purchased the 15 lb bag and saved a bundle. The problem is that I do not have room to store them.


Glad I do not use Hellman's Real Mayonnaise as the price was ridiculous at $7.64...


The brand I prefer is Kraft Mayo with Olive Oil at $4.18 it was definitively a buy!


This caught my eye as I had never seen it before...Tequila Pasta Sauce at $2.98 a jar...I am pretty sure it does not taste like Tequila. I only drink tequila when I have a frozen lime margarita but it has been YEARS since I have had one 😢

I have tried Hormel Chili Vegetarian with Beans 99% fat-free but I had forgotten how it tasted. I had some for dinner and it was pretty good and at $2.12 will definitely pick up a couple more cans in the future.



I love Hill Country Fare Beef Stew (an HEB brand) a family-size can of 38 oz (2 lbs 6 oz) or 1.07 kg that contains no added preservatives and is made with fresh carrots and potatoes for less than the price of a hamburger at $4.18 a can.


I bought a lot of cans of HEB brand soup that has also not gone up in price remaining at $1.58 for an 18.6 oz can (1lb 2.6 oz) 527g


For my future camping trips had a large selection of StarKist tuna flavors to choose from at $1.00 each. I like their small compact size and that it requires no can opener.


I had to laugh that El Día de Los Muertos has also been incorporated into dishwashing liquid...


They also had a variety of other Autumn dish liquids...😏...almost makes you want to wash dishes! In case you are wondering...I passed on these.


There was a limit of 2 in packages of 30 eggs or larger...I have never bought an egg carton of this size and probably never will.


One of the lady vandwellers I follow has been touting the use of this brand of tea not for the tea itself but for the container to store water as it is made of heavier plastic. Many vandwellers fill them up at Walmart since their machine has a blue light filter.


It kills me when I see bottled water in Houston selling for $1.99 for a 24-pack and having to pay $3.48 in Del Rio.


Charmin toilet paper in the large pack is $32.00 and I have plenty but bought the HEB brand while theirs is still affordable at $18.98. There weren't that many left.


Another item I stocked up on was potato chips since they were on sale. I do not know if it was because it was Friday but their shelves were almost empty (the chip section) sadly that is one of the many pictures that I had to delete but here are some of the ones I had in my cart.



I went to check out the prices in the wine and beer section. I unexpectedly went down memory lane, I was glad I was wearing my mask because I was grinning from ear to ear. 😁 Now be honest do any of these pics bring back memories?

Who doesn't remember Strawberry Hill?



This brought a laughing-out-loud moment...so many anecdotes came to mind. We used to call it Mad Dog.


These were my lean years as a college student where my roommates and I would pull our money together to buy a bottle and go dancing at the discos...yes, I know I am dating myself 👵

I did not do too bad bought myself things I needed for my preps and things I did not need but bought anyway like the chips, potato salad, rotisserie chicken legs, and wine!

Unfortunately, I was never able to gas up when the price went down to $2.989 a gallon as my tank was full. I did not need gas today either but it was .21 cents higher at $3.199 for regular unleaded and $4.399 for Diesel.


Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid





8 comments:

  1. I remember my Dad saying about wine "Thunderbird that's the work, 30 twice thats the price"
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Frann, your comment went over my head...I do not know what it means.

      Delete
  2. As long as the fuel prices keep going up so will the price of everything else.
    Be Safe and Enjoy getting ready.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't believe it, but my local grocery had small avocados 2 for a dollar. Haven't seen that in forever. I have no clue about supplies/demands...but it's so variable!!! Doesn't make sense. I usually say I never see prices go down, but this time....waaaay down. Odd.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few months ago the USDA announced that another state in México (I believe Jalisco) had been approved to import avocados to the USA. I know you have friends in México and keep up with what is going on in that country.

      For now, I think this has lowered avocado prices as organized crime has not had a chance to react to this new wrench thrown at them...but it won't take them long before they start to manipulate this new market as well. In the meantime let's take advantage of this...

      Delete
  4. I just don't get it with the price of eggs, that is just outrageous! But I have lots of the tuna pks and last week found 4 cans for $2.98 and grabbed them for my storage stash. Those prices you paid for things were pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do not get the price of eggs either...they are way too high for my liking. The only time I buy them is when I go camping and have them as boiled eggs...this year I may not even do that.

      You got a good deal on your four cans of tuna and they will certainly come in handy in your storage stash. I do not know why I am so obsessed with looking at prices at the grocery stores in Houston that I used to frequent especially Joe V's which is an HEB discount store and has great prices since they do not accept checks or credit cards...just cash and EBT cards...passing the savings to their customers.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.