Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, May 17, 2023

Free-range Chickens / Attacked by Fire Ants / Victor Wembanyama

Wednesday is trash day in our neighborhood and they have no set time for making their rounds. Sometimes they come very early other times not so much, I did not want to put the trash out because we were expecting showers last night/early this morning. The cats like to sleep on top of the trash can,  as it perches them high off the ground when sleeping on the back porch.

It did in fact rain but apparently not very much but that only worsened the humidity factor. One of the neighbor's (Walter's worthless former owner) free-range chicken and her chicks were making so much noise they woke me up. What is the fascination with having chickens when their feed is so expensive that you are better off purchasing the eggs at the store? Not to mention that he never asked permission to allow those chickens to come to my mother's house or for that matter the other neighbors' property.

You can see the black mother chicken but it is hard to see her chicks with the overgrown weeds and mesquite trees on the south side of the property. For clearing all this I will probably have to hire "Pollito" and his "drunk sidekick"...sigh...😒


I put out the trash, fed the cats, and set out to tackle the weeds when all of a sudden I felt a terrible pain in my foot. Though it has been a heck of a long time I instinctively knew I had fallen prey to a bite from fire ants...they do not call them that for nothing....grrrrr!!!!

I came inside and Googled what I was supposed to do.  After cleaning the area, applying lemon juice, and not feeling any comfort I slapped on some mint toothpaste and that eased the pain a bit. I was so mad I looked up how to kill them without poison. Boiled water and poured it on their mound though they do not actually have a mound but a hole in the ground. Did it work? Only for a while by the afternoon they were once again up and around. 😡

These are the rain totals we have had so far this month...


We are expecting more rain tomorrow and this weekend so do not know when I will get around to tackling the weeds. Unfortunately, I am having a lot of trouble trying to upload pictures to this post...I have no idea what is going on with Blogger...will try again tomorrow.

I wanted to congratulate the San Antonio Spurs for winning the lottery that allows them to select the first 2023 NBA draft pick Victor Wembanyama. He is a 7-foot-4, 19-year-old from France. Even CNN covered this story.



Even KSAT SA-Live had a good time with this story. They used a measuring tape to compare his height and arm span to one of their co-hosts...Jennifer Tobias-Struski.





San Antonio and surrounding area fans went crazy last night (I include myself) when it was announced that the Spurs got the first pick. People were out in the streets honking and celebrating like we had won another championship. Today fans were calling to buy season tickets all day long. It certainly feels great to receive some good news for a change!

On this happy note...Good night...May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



10 comments:

  1. A swarm of fire ants on the foot is awful. They make blisters on me...it's been a while though.(I've moved to town. And also, different dirt.) Anyway, baking soda and vinegar foam up nicely and make you thing something good is happening. My mother used to do that for wasp stings. Yes, all Spurs fans are HYPED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can never be too careful when you are outside in the middle of our crop of weeds and pesky baby mesquites. I was wearing socks and tennis shoes but they still managed to nail me in the ankle area.

      One of the Google suggestions was baking soda and vinegar...that is what I use to unclog the sinks and I am low on vinegar. Thank you for mentioning that it also works on wasp stings as I almost got stung by them last week.

      Delete
  2. Yes their sting is horrible!
    We have had some rain here and yesterday broke a record from 1949 in a total for that day, I guess that's supposed to be exciting LOL But it sure was nice to have the rain.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A record going back to 1949 would be exciting especially if it is for rain and not heat. While the rain has been beneficial for this area the work and expense it brings with it is not.

      We are not through with the inclement weather...tonight it could get bad :-(

      Delete
  3. When i lived in Houston i used Motor Oil to get rid of fire ant mounds , I would just pour a bit on the mound and they would disappear. It really worked. If you can get a hold on used motor oil that works a lot better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny that you mention used motor oil. Earlier this week I was putting horse pine pellets in the trunk of Dad's old car to absorb the moisture that drips during strong rain events. I happened on some oil and transmission fluids that have been in there for years and wondered what I could do with them as Del Rio does not have a "hazardous material" site for me to get rid of them.

      This would be an ideal way to use some of it. Thank you for the tip, Abel.

      Delete
    2. OK! I will be waiting to hear how that works. It probably will.....

      Delete
    3. I am going to try it as soon as the rains cease...will let you know how it goes.

      Delete
  4. Have you tried it? The used motor oil you found.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not had a chance to try it out because I had the yard people come to mow and also had rain so I am waiting for dry weather.

      The motor oil I found is not used...it is new...but it has been in the trunk of Dad's old car for a long time so I guess it could be considered used.

      Hopefully, I will get a chance to try it next week. Have a great weekend.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.