Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Sunday, May 28, 2023

Sipriano / Little bird / Rain

Last week I was mulling whether or not to call Pollito and his drunk sidekick as the weeds and baby mesquite had gotten out of hand with all the recent rains. It was around 10:00 a.m. I was using my new hoe to try to clear some of the weeds when I circled around the back of the house as the weeds were too high to go through the front yard to get my gloves.

We do not have dogs, but all the neighbors do, and if someone walks by (very few people walk) they will let you know it. I happened to get a glimpse of a male riding a bicycle. Out here in the boonies, a person riding a bicycle is up to no good. It is usually gang members tagging the fences. I did not go to the front of the house and the dogs kept on barking. That could only mean that the person was still there.

I decided I did not need to hide and walked around the front only to see a big hefty guy standing by the fence apparently waiting on me. He saw I was leary so he took off his sunglasses and cap and said...remember me?... I am Sipriano the guy that worked with the County that picked up all the tree limbs that the guy you hired didn't. 

That put me at ease as I did remember him as he helped me back in December 2021 when that worthless yardman and his even more worthless worker (the scary guy) did not complete the job they were hired to do. I even wrote a letter to the County Commissioner praising Sipriano for going above and beyond his job duties to help me.

He told me that he had been by several times as he saw that my yard needed mowing but he never saw me outside and the gate was chained and locked. He said he was not working and needed a job. So I offered him one. A few glitches here and there mainly with his hired help (his young cousin) who was sick and tired of working in the sun and was hot...so he took him home. Why do young people not want to work? On the second day, he brought his son who just got out of fifth grade and that kid worked harder than his cousin who looked to be in his late teens.

While they were working they captured a very tame bird that most likely got out of his cage. They asked if he was mine...told them I could not have birds with all my cats so they were welcome to him before the cats decided they wanted a snack.


We have had so much rain, these were the latest figures...that is until last night. We had a very strong storm that began at 11:30 p.m. and ended Saturday at 1:20 a.m. The saturation has been unbelievable east of San Antonio.


I was watching a YouTube video from Campervan Kevin and loved how he and his friends went back to basics and tent, car, as well as van-camped...well except for Carolyn who took her RV. I am so envious!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtegjH6RftI&t=884s


Good night. May you all have Terlingua Dreams.


Aunty Acid



5 comments:

  1. It is strange the way every ten years makes a difference on people's work ethics. The cousin though he was in for a free ride, but the son knew he had to meet his father's standards. (I worked with my father like that.)
    We are supposed to cool down next week, hopefully so will you.
    Be Safe and Enjoy the help.

    It's about time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can not put a certain year difference on people's work ethic...it all depends on the individual or at least that has been my experience.

      What I have noticed is that people do not take any pride in the work they do. They want top dollar but put little effort into the job at hand.

      Sipriano is a single dad and I am glad he is instilling in his son a good work ethic. Unfortunately, we are not going to cool down and we have more rain chances which will only serve to make the weeds grow.

      Delete
  2. For some reason the link I posted to Campervan Kevin's YouTube is not starting at the beginning. Here is the new link...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtegjH6RftI

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy that guy showed up and now your yard is cleaned. My grandson also a single dad, was here last week and had his son also helping, he is teaching him how to work proud, which means do a good job!
    The Campervan Kevin camping area was one of my favorite places also. Oh how I miss those mountains.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad your grandson is teaching his son the pride that comes from a job well done. I wish more parents would do the same, as it is an invaluable lesson when taught at a young age that will serve him for life.

      I recall you mentioning how much you liked to camp in the mountains, but I had no idea it was where CVK and his friends are at. I do not blame you it is beautiful. I also liked the modifications Felix made to Betty White.

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.