Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

The Mesquite Trees are Blooming

Mesquite makes excellent wood for cookouts and a couple of logs last a long time around a roaring campfire in Terlingua.  However, seeing them bloom is not a happy occasion for me.

I usually cut down the mesquite by our fence line but have not done so in the past two years so the poor horses my heartless neighbor has will one day have shade.

For one it signifies the end of winter and secondly that sooner or later it will have pods and those darn pods if not raked in a prompt fashion only mean that more mesquite trees will start springing up.  Only if you have ever tried to clear these pesky trees off of your property will you understand how difficult that is.

There are so many new mesquite trees popping up.  Counted over fifty in this side of the property.

Last week I went to buy an electric weed eater and I have yet to assemble it.  Need to do that soon or the weeds are going to get out of control.  Have I mentioned how much I dislike yard work? Oh well, someone has to do it and I guess I’m the lucky one.

This Mesquite has been hit by lighting twice and it refuses to die.  Aren't I lucky?

I would like to welcome a new follower to the blog Big Bend Inquirer. He writes a very funny blog http://bigbendinquirer.blogspot.com/.

Good night.  May you all Terlingua Dreams.

10 comments:

  1. I luv mesquite trees. Well, I luv large mesquite trees. I turn wood on a lathe and nothing is better than mesquite turned objects. And since most mesquite have large voids, holes left over from hammerhead grubs and splits caused by fires, most will have holes/voids in the finished object. that being said, since they are not capable of holding soup, they are considered art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom has large mesquite trees, you are more than welcome to bring your saw and chop whatever you like.

      Delete
  2. While at the legion yesterday Mario and Fred were telling us about a product called spike. It kills grease wood and I didn't know there was such a thing. It isn't supposed to kill grass. It also kills mesquites and only takes a little to kill either. It has to be bought at Farm supply stores and they won't sell it to the public so you may have to get a farmer or rancher to buy it for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Had never heard of "spike" either. Need to look into it but if they only sale to farmers or ranchers then I am back to square one.

      Delete
  3. All that talk about mesquite makes me want to grill something!

    ReplyDelete
  4. http://www.dowagro.com/range/products/spike20P.htm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for helping share the launch of our new site....."Better News" for the Big Bend area....:)

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.