Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Health Fair

The local newspaper Del Rio News Herald has a very limited free online edition.  It only allows you to read the first paragraph of whatever the cover story might be that day and if you want to read more…well you have to pay.

Ciudad Acuna, Coahuila, Mexico (the border city across from Del Rio) has a GREAT online section not only covering Del Rio events but also happening all over the various border towns on the American side.  The name of the newspaper is called El Zocalo and they let you read the complete story and most importantly they do so for free.

Reading El Zocalo I came upon an article that invited people to a Health Fair today at the local Casa de la Cultura.  With me not having health insurance I jumped at the chance.  Showed up punctually at 10:00 a.m.  The article mentioned that this would be the third year of them hosting the event.  However there were very few people there and I can’t help but think that if the local paper had mentioned it in their online edition there might have been a better turn out.


This is historic Brown Plaza in the neighborhood known as San Felipe,



As I was waiting in line to take my blood pressure I struck up a conversation with an elderly couple and I asked how they had heard about it and they told me that the priest mentioned it in the last church service they attended.  Another lady said she read it in El Zocalo.


This is La Casa de la Cultura ( the House of Culture) where the Health Fair was held.

Murals painted by local artists at La Casa de la Cultura across from Brown Plaza


The reason I attended was to get my blood glucose level checked because I live in morbid fear of becoming a diabetic.  I have one of those pricking monitors but I hate needles and poking my finger is just something I cannot bring myself to do.  While the health fair was limited in offerings: glucose check, blood pressure, and weighing you…I am grateful that they have these types of events for the general public and that for now I am not a diabetic.

Wanted to welcome David H who signed on as a follower.  Thank you for reading me.

Good night.  May you all have Terlingua Dreams.

6 comments:

  1. Hope all the tests came out well. Love the art work on the buildings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree Joe the art work is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Unfortunately now days it always seems to be about money and how someone else can get it out of you. Nice story and pix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got that right Dave, every thing now is about the money. It would be a nice touch on the part of the local paper to have a community event calendar that people could access without having to pay to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. MsB, maybe you could talk to them and they would see the error of their ways. Then again maybe they wouldn't? Its for sure that they should!

    ReplyDelete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.