Terlingua Dreams

Terlingua Dreams
Governors Landing Campground - Lake Amistad - Del Rio, Texas

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Windy, Cold, Gloomy and a Love Story

Windy, cold and gloomy pretty much describe yesterday and today, with the exception that we had severe thunderstorms last night that made the electricity go out a few times.  Since my computer is pretty old as is, I did not want to take any chances with it so decided to power it off and post my blog afterwards.

Afterwards never came as I thankfully fell into deep slumber.  For those of you who have no problems going to sleep you will never know how fortunate you are and how many people would love to be in your shoes, me included. 

I had not left the compound since Thursday when we went to Mexico.  True to my procrastinating ways I had to go into town to pick up some items at HEB since it was the last day of the specials and as you know, I tend to leave things to the last minute.  I also needed to mail a condolence card to my friend who recently lost her brother.

With the news that gas was expected to go up this week, decided to fill up even though I had more than half a tank left. Lucky for me the price in Del Rio had not gone up, it was still $3.18 a gallon.

Can’t leave you without a Terlingua story:

In the sixteen years that I have been attending the Chili cook-off, I have met many people.  Some I only get to talk to for a few minutes others much longer. The “A” Brothers camp is comprised of guys from different Texas towns as well as out of state.

Their older brother Jr. is from Fort Worth and he always brings a lot of his buddies down to the event.  One night I was talking to one such buddy, a guy I had met in prior years but had never had a chance to talk to at length.

We were discussing foreign soap operas and how some love stories are really far fetched. This particular night he confided in me that he fell head over heals in love with a very beautiful and popular girl while in High School who was also crowned homecoming queen.  He had became friends with her brothers just so he could visit their home and hopefully run into her.

He was never able to profess his love for her since she was in love with someone else who would later become her husband. Even though each had gone their separate ways, he had never forgotten her.  He would frequent her brother’s restaurant just so he could hear what was going on in her life. Mind you almost forty years had already gone by and she still held a special place in his heart.

Coincidently she was living in Houston like I was at the time.  One thing lead to another and to make a long story short, she turned out to be one of my dearest friends!!!  Boy this is a small world.  He made me take a bunch of pictures of him so I could show them to her and implored me to bring her the following year.

That encounter never happened as my friend in not “the camping type” and there is no way she could survive a day much less a week in the desert. The girl of his dreams is my friend who recently lost her brother.  She called to tell me that HE had attended the funeral.  He had held her hand as he lovingly looked into her eyes and asked if she remembered him, to which she replied "I am sorry I do not".  He introduced himself and added “didn’t Belinda show you the pictures and tell you about Terlingua?” lol….always the Terlingua connection.

8 comments:

  1. OH! She stabbed him through the heart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha.....I love to hear love stories such as this. Why? Because I, "the Billy Bob", lived such a story. I was 19, she was 17. Her dad said I was too old for her. We "desert dated" for the next 2 years. We were deeply in love. Then we lost contact while I was off in "the war". No, not "that" war, but the war that battled in my brain for the love I left behind. The years passed us by until 45 years later I found her in a remote little town in California. Before I could again see my "love of my life", she had passed on to another world. Her resting place overlooks a peaceful valley surrounded by the High Sierra mountains. Our song was "the lion sleeps tonight". God rest her soul as she sleeps tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your love story is so sad Billy Bob yet at the same time beautiful. What a lucky lady she was to have had your love for so long even through all those years you did not see or hear from one another.

      Delete
  3. Sleep-deprivation is truly an underrated assault on the mind.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Replies
    1. Me too Terry, just wished more of them ended like in the movies "happily ever after" but alas that has not happened either in my life or in the lives of those close to me...

      Delete

I sincerely appreciate you taking the time to comment. Thank you for your readership.